Meow… Here, Kitty Kitty Kitty…
So, Lion is out. For $29.99 and the easiest OS install ever, it’s gonna be tempting for all of us to click that BUY button. But before you get all click-happy, just a few notes of advice:
- This is a major OS update. That means things will break. Rosetta, for example, is no longer supported, so any legacy PowerPC apps you have laying around simply won’t run anymore. Be aware.
- BACKUP, backup, backup, before you upgrade. If you’re paranoid you could run something like CarbonCopy Cloner to ensure an easy transition back, but at minimum ensure you have a Time Machine backup.
- If you’re in the middle of a major project with a real deadline, you may want to hold off on that update. You don’t really want to lose a day to restoring your system because you didn’t realize that plugin you rely on won’t be Lion-happy until next month before you clicked go.
- It can’t hurt to run a File Vault backup on Aperture in addition to your regular backups, again, just-in-case. If your Aperture Library is as important to you as mine is to me, you can never be too safe.
- When you do buy it, please buy it here. Every teeny tiny affiliate fee helps ApertureExpert grow :)
I’ll update one system (my MacBook Air is downloading now), but probably hold off on the iMac just because I really am working on a deadline-driven project. At least, I’ll test all my recording software on the Air before upgrading the iMac, just in case. Which doesn’t help you lot much, because I’m sure you’d rather see me upgrade before you :)
So if you DO push the button, let us know how you get on in the comments here. It doesn’t have to be Aperture related, but of course that’s what we’re most interested here at ApertureExpert. But any hiccups or victories resulting from Mac OS X Lion, please do let us know!