You are here

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Workflow ideas for moving RAW files out of AP3 and keeping them backed up elsewhere? #1
Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 28, 2011 - 10:18pm

Currently I'm shooting everything in RAW so I have most data to work with in post processing. Then for many shots I'd use Joseph's “Convert Master File Format” script to convert my versions to JPEG's and automatically import them again, and reject the RAW files so I can trash them.

If the photos are really great, I keep the RAW files around and in Aperture 3 - without first converting them to JPEG.

For snapshots and other average stuff, I'd like to just keep the JPEG version(s) - like I do now, using the script mentioned above.

However, I've been thinking, maybe I should at least keep my RAW files somewhere, just in case… I'd just like to keep them out of Aperture 3, especially because I'm using a Managed Library on my MacBook Pro (I'm out and about quite often so having to rely on an external drive with my library, is going to be a hassle for me).

Any ideas as to how I can pull my rejected RAW files (those converted to JPEG using Joseph's AppleScript) out of Aperture 3 so I can use the Finder to back them up on an external drive / server somewhere?

I guess I *could* just backup my entire SD card each time after import, but then I would also keep the photos I'd otherwise delete in Aperture, blurry shots, lens cap shots and stuff like that.

Does this make any sense? :)

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
August 19, 2011 - 11:22pm

Update: TimeMachine will allow me to remove an external drive from the excluded list, but once I confirm and close the exclude window, and then open it up again, then my external drive is automatically added to the exclude list.

Unfortunately I guess, for some reason, TimeMachine and 10.7.1 doesn’t want to backup my external drive to another external drive.

Or perhaps it’s because the TimeMachine drive has less capacity than the drive I want it to backup (even though I have excluded all folders on that drive, except for my Aperture Masters).

How does everybody else backup their Referenced Masters?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 24, 2011 - 4:17am

Klaus,

Very odd… do you have another small HD you can test with; see if Time Machine will let that be backed up?

You cold also try trashing the Time Machine preferences and see if that lets you reset it, but you’ll probably need to re-list all your excluded folders.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
August 24, 2011 - 4:19am

I probably should have tested with another drive as you suggest, but instead I decided to add my Aperture Masters drive to CrashPlan and let it back it up to another external drive, when it’s connected. It’s like Time Machine, except it encrypts (I know TimeMachine can do that too, now, but my usual TimeMachine drive is already encrypted by it-self, so I don’t see the need to double-encrypt everything).

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 12, 2011 - 7:04am

Folks,

To reiterate the point, I had some help locating the kb article on apple.com that talks about NAS (Network Attached Storage) use. Turns out, I already wrote an article on this site a year ago discussing this. Silly me.

Network Drives (NAS) and Aperture (Aug 03, 2010)

Aperture’s support of NAS has not changed. Basically, storing the Library on a NAS is specifically not supported, and storing the the Masters on a NAS is not recommended.

There do seem to be some NAS issues with Lion OS X 10.7 (x.0, i.e. initial release if anyone is finding this post afterwards) that hopefully will be addressed soon which are affecting some Aperture users.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
August 12, 2011 - 8:47pm

Joseph,

Funny you should post that link - I actually read it yesterday while I was considering if I should get myself a NAS so I could get to my Masters even if I’m out on the road, but I figured it would be expensive (to buy) and slow (to use) and since Lion apparently broke NAS support, there’s no guarantee when it will be fixed again.

So, I decided to splash the cash on a Lacie Rugged Safe 1TB drive FW800 with 128 bit AES encryption. Then I’ll use that drive for my Masters and keep the library on my internal drive (both are 7200 rpm).

Then I can scrap my current workflow regarding storing RAW files I might never need, on a network share (after converting them to JPG and keeping those), and instead just keep everything on my FW800 drive.

Now I just need to figure out a way to backup my Masters, since they will no longer be included in my Library when I’m doing TImeMachine, SuperDuper and CrashPlan (in the cloud). I could still have CrashPlan backup my Masters, but I might prefer to also have a physical copy locally.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 13, 2011 - 2:35am

Klaus,

If it’s remote access you’re after, that’s pretty easy. I even wrote an article on that a while ago: “Keeping your Aperture Library Accessible 24/7, Worldwide”.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
August 13, 2011 - 6:19pm

Joseph,

By “remote access” I mostly wanted a remote way to access my Masters. Because the way you describe in your 24/7 worldwide accessible article, would require a computer at home also. I do have one, but it’s an old Mac Mini Core Duo that I only use for media center connected to the TV and maxed out with 2GB ram, so I wouldn’t want to run Aperture 3 on that poor machine :)

I think it’ll be great when I get a fast external FW800 drive for my Masters, then I’ll just carry that one around with my MacBook Pro. Simply need to figure out a way to backup the Masters to another drive, I don’t think TimeMachine will backup anything else than what’s on the internal drive.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 14, 2011 - 5:04am

Klaus,

Time Machine will back up external FW drives as well as the internal drive. When you first add a drive to the system, it’ll be marked to be excluded in the Time Machine preferences, but you just have to de-select that and you’re good to go.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
August 14, 2011 - 5:11am

Oh really? I had no idea. I guess that’s my plan then, all automatically. TimeMachine and CrashPlan should be sufficient.

In case nobody told you lately, ApertureExpert rocks! :)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 14, 2011 - 5:29am

hehe thanks Klaus, I try :)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
July 28, 2011 - 11:56pm

Klaus, I also shoot almost exclusively in RAW so your post appealed to me. Altho it sounds crude, here’s what I do (at least until a more viable option comes along): before I import my RAW images into a A3 Project folder on my iMac (with T/M backup), I first connect my camera(s) to my old Toshiba Notebook (with CS4), and copy all the RAW files (I first do a camera edit for the obvious non-keepers) to a “Master” folder on that computer.

Then, after disconecting the camera from the Tosh and reconnecting it to the iMac, while I am importing the RAW files into A3 on my iMac, I copy the RAW files I imported to the Toshiba to a Seagate 2TB portable h/d–a drive I then disconnect and keep safely locked up at work away from my main work site. This way, I have 2 redundant copies of all the RAWs on a separate computer platform, with the ability, if something happened, to reimport the RAWs straight from the Seagate back into A3/iMac.

Once I am finished with a project, I will then delete the RAWS off the Tosh’s H/D to save space–but keep them on the Seagate.

I know this may sound clunky, but Im a backup freak and altho I am saving the RAWs pre-edit, it’s better than not saving them at all. If anyone can suggest something a little less labyrinth I am all ears.

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 29, 2011 - 12:00am

Thanks for chiming in, Jim.

I already have backups figured out, so that’s no problem :) I’m doing daily Time Machine backups and weekly SuperDuper backup, plus CrashPlan always runs in the background, uploading stuff (including my AP3 library) to their server.

Regarding those RAW files that I want to “keep but not use” in this case, I’d initially be happy to just store them in one place. And then maybe down the road I’ll include them in my CrashPlan backup.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 29, 2011 - 12:54am

Hi guys, good discussion.

I wonder though if things are being made a bit over complicated. Why not just work referenced, have the Library on your internal drive, and all the masters on an external at home, and not bother with having to archive RAW images separately? For the most recent RAW files that you may want to have with you even if the drive isn’t attached (i.e. a recent project you’re still playing with and want to work on when you’re away from your home or office), go ahead and leave those few images Managed. When you’re done messing around, move them to Referenced on the external drive.

And of course your backups are automatic through your TimeMachine, etc that you’re already working with.

Is there a reason that wouldn’t work?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 29, 2011 - 1:25am

Joseph,

I guess it could work with a referenced library. I’ve always just liked managed, since that means only one “file” that has to be included in TimeMachine & CrashPlan backup. With referenced, it’s my job to make sure the files are saved in the right locations - and being included in backups.

Also I’d like to have just one library (managed or referenced), as it would otherwise be a hassle regarding sync with iPhone/iPad, if using multiple libraries.

I guess the “problem” with a referenced library would be that I’d have to re-enable Previews, as I’d otherwise not be able to use the photos stored externally. And that the RAW files that I don’t need (but would like to keep “just in case”) would still be part of Aperture (referenced).

Ideally I could import the RAW files, do my work on them, and then convert them to JPG and save the RAW files somewhere out of Aperture (and delete them from Aperture). As mentioned, the RAW files I’m talking about here, are the files I’m currently not even saving as I don’t think I’m ever gonna need them again. I might as well have shot JPEG in-camera but I go with RAW to have more room in post processing.

You’d still go with a referenced library?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 29, 2011 - 1:38am

Klaus,

I’d go with a “hybrid” library. Keep your current stuff managed, move anything older referenced. And let Time Machine backup your external HD just like everything else.

No need to keep multiple libraries.

And generate previews on demand. I regularly go through my Library and select all > wipe out all previews, just to clear up space. I have a keyboard shortcut set up (shift-Return) to generate a preview of the selection if I need it. You can turn Maintain Previews on and off per project, too, so for those more recent ones that you want the JPG available but don’t need the RAW, you could do that.

Finally, in those moments when you don’t have a preview, but need a JPG of the image to send someone, just do a screenshot of the photo—I do that all the time. Command-Control-Shift-4, drag over the photo, and you capture a screenshot of that photo to the clipboard… paste that into email/whatever, and off you go.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 29, 2011 - 1:43am

Joseph,

Yes the screenshot trick is a good tip - I do that too quite often, it’s especially fast with an app such as TinyGrab installed, so it will instantly upload that screenshot as well, making it super-fast to share on IM.

I’m also already creating previews “on-demand” when needed since Previews are used to sync with iPhone/iPad, so the stuff I need synced, I create previews for - so that part I also got covered, thanks though!

A “hybrid” library sounds interesting. However, and I hate to take up more of your time, I’m not sure how to actually do that with Aperture 3. Managed - yes, Referenced - yes, but a hybrid? And where would the “managed”-part go, still inside “\Pictures\Aperture Library.aplibrary” or in a folder I’ll have to create myself, so that it’s actually referenced, but still local?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 29, 2011 - 3:07am

Klaus,

Remember, Referenced vs Managed isn’t a switch; it’s a decision on import. So you can import Managed, then when you’re done with that project, relocate the Masters using the Relocate Masters command.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 29, 2011 - 6:03am

I think I’ve come up with an idea / workflow now, using the “hybrid” library method:

1) Import RAW files as managed.

2) Do my post-processing on the RAW files.

3) Relocate masters to external drive (in my case, network drive via my Mac Mini).

4) Convert my snapshots to JPEG using Joseph’s “Convert Master File Format” AppleScript - this will reject the RAW files.

5) Delete the rejected RAW files - and empty the trash, uncheck the option to delete referenced files (this doesn’t matter in my case though, as I’m storing the referenced files on a network drive through my Mac Mini and apparently I don’t have access to “system trash” on that drive, so Aperture 3 won’t be able to trash the referenced files anyway).

Now, my original RAW files are out Aperture 3 completely - but they’re still backed up so I can work on them when Aperture 9 is out or when National Geographic calls to buy one of my snapshots with a few modifications :)

And just for the record (again), so people don’t think I’ve lost my mind… I don’t - and will probably never - throw away my RAW files on photos I consider “good” or anything above that. This workflow/idea is only for photos I might as well have shot in JPEG to begin with…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 29, 2011 - 6:19am

Klaus,

You shouldn’t use a networked drive for storage. Aperture doesn’t support NAS and will likely lose the connection to the Master, resulting in frustration. Sorry. If you’re just storing them there, fine, but if they are connected to Aperture (meaning Referenced), then that’s Bad Idea™.

Otherwise, the workflow is sound.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
July 29, 2011 - 6:22am

Yes, during my testing I found out that whenever my Mac Mini is sleeping, Aperture would disconnect from the photos and I’d have to manually reconnect them again once it’s awake. Since it’s just for storing and these RAW files won’t be needed in Aperture again (and if they are, I’ll just “consolidate” or “relocate” to local drive), then it doesn’t really matter.

Well, this has been a rewarding day in terms of Aperture - thanks for all the tips :)

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
July 29, 2011 - 11:38am

klaus, y’re welcome, altho a little context on me: I’m barely 2 months into Mac/A3 usage (after 27 years with PCs), and still stumbling/learning all the intricacies. tell ya what, tho, sure beats Photoshop. Just to be able to straighten a photo w/o having to navigate layers of submenus, only to be faced with some ill-designed stupid line, is heaven to my slightly crooked eye! : ) JB

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?