You are here

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Will Apple Have Any Upgrade To The Current Aperture Version #1
Stuart's picture
by Stuart
October 10, 2011 - 8:06am

Hi Joseph,

I do not really want to put you in a spot, but in you opinion do you think Apple will continue with upgrading Aperture? Meaning do you think there will be an Aperture 4?
I am concerned about this as you do not hear anything from Apple that I know of when it comes to Aperture. At the present time I switch back and forth from Aperture 3 and Lightroom 3. I would prefer to stay with Aperture, however if there is no Aperture 4 on the horizin I may stick with Lightroom as I am sure Adobe will have a Version 4 for Lightroom. I just do not want to put a lot of effort into Aperture if Apple is not going to continue with newer versions.

Best,

Stu

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 10, 2011 - 10:26am

Stu,

Let me say up front that I don’t know any more than anyone else. I have no insight into the future development of Aperture, so anything I say is conjecture.

That said, I have little doubt that Apple will continue with Aperture. Many people looked at what they did with Final Cut Pro X and have said “what if they do the same with Aperture”… but they already have. There is iMovie and Final Cut Pro X; the new FCPX looks like iMovie “Pro”. There is iPhoto and Aperture; many parts of Aperture now resemble iPhoto “Pro” (as of v3). I would guess that the next version will be even more similar, but I wouldn’t for a second believe that features will be stripped out like they were with FCPX. Final Cut was a very, very old code base that needed to be thrown out the window and started from scratch. Aperture isn’t that old, and features from Aperture show up in iPhoto. If anything, I’d be more inclined to believe that iPhoto will become an “Aperture jr.”, not in name of course, but in look and feel and the code base.

Again, these are the rantings of a madman, so don’t pay too much attention to them.

I for one am going to stick with Aperture. I kinda have a vested interest in seeing it succeed ;-)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
October 10, 2011 - 10:54pm

Joseph,

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I just wish Apple would come out with some sort of statement about Aperture and if it will continue its support with the software. I like you have invested time and effort with this product, however at the same time I have kept up with Adobe Lightroom just incase Apple abandens Apperture down the road.

Best,

Stu

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 11, 2011 - 3:45am

Stuart,

I worked at Apple for eight years. The only time I ever saw any kind of pre-annoncement was for the iPhone which required FCC approval, and Steve didn’t want the FCC announcing his product for him.

Believe me I know how much it sucks to not hear anything from them, but for now that’s the way of the Apple.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
October 11, 2011 - 4:12am

and honestly, I hope they keep it that way. We all want new features and toys, but Aperture as it stands is quite a stellar application.

The question I always ask myself is: If they stopped releasing this today, what more do I want out of such an app, and does it exist elsewhere?

If I’m already missing some features, and I can’t supplement them via plugins, then why am I using this tool in the first place? The thing is that regardless of the future, there is never a guarantee that the feature you’re missing will be implemented; or even implemented the way you’d like it. So what’s the point of worrying?

A simple example is this: I was using Apple’s Logic for years; one day I wanted to get some of the features in ProTools. I waited, but no matter how many updates we got in Logic features I wanted were missing. Protools came out with a software only version, I forked out my money and moved over. Simple.

Do what’s right for you :)

R

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
October 11, 2011 - 10:08pm

I’m just hoping that they’ll upgrade A3 to play a little nicer with Lion. I am not keen on running out to get more RAM for my MBP so that i can use the full 64-bit. At least that’s what I’ve gathered from this and other sites and is the main reason for my reluctance to switch from Snow Leopard to Lion. For the majority of work that needs to be done with photos, A3 works just fine. For specialized tweaks, there are enough plug-ins to do the job as Robert has already pointed out. I just love the file management system of Aperture and that’s what wins out at the end of the day for me.

florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
October 11, 2011 - 10:49pm

Florian,

From my experience, A3 runs great in Lion, they did update it for Lion and it’s very stable. A3 is not the only application that is sometimes suffering from performance issues due to lack of RAM on Lion. Lion is quite a beast (no pun intended) when it comes to RAM usage, and its RAM usage footprint seems much larger. I have folks who use iMacs with 4G of RAM and it is often swapping to VRAM whereas Snow Leopard is not.

So I understand your point about being concerned about the RAM; that said, depending on your machine, RAM prices are real cheap and eventually you’ll want to get the machine maxed out (unless you’re on a MacPro that would be crazy :) ) so you can take advantage of 64bit processing. The increase in speed is worth it.

I run a 2007 quad core Mac Pro with 8 gigs of RAM, and things are real smooth with that. RAM’s dropped so much, I’m considering jumping up to 20 or 32 gigs.

Just my 2 cents.

R

by Florian Cortese
October 12, 2011 - 12:03pm

There is another question just posted today on RAM, etc. So what brand of RAM does anyone suggest? Crucial? Kingston? Recommendations appreciated.

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
October 12, 2011 - 3:56pm

Florian

I got mine from Crucial, it arrived a couple of days later, was very cheap and the computer works like a dream - from crawling around on its hands and knees.

d.

d.

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
October 14, 2011 - 12:07am

Well with this Aperture upgrade to 3.2 along with iCloud with the Photo Streaming it now makes me feel a little better about Aperture. I am in the process of upgrading my MacBook Pro to IOS5 with iCloud then upgrading to Aperture 3.2. will follow with the iPad 2 IOS5 upgrade. The iPhone 4S arrives in the morning but that will have IOS5 already installed. It has been taking some time to get these upgrades down loaded as most likely there is a hugh demand this morning.

Stu

by Florian Cortese
October 14, 2011 - 4:32am

Stu- Yes, yesterday was a heavy use day for Apple’s servers I’m sure. I tried to upgrade my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 in the morning but got an error message after about 20 minutes of sloooow uploading. when I tired last night - bam, it went fast-at least the uploading to the phone part did. the restore of all of my apps, photos, music, etc took a while but all went well. good luck with yours. BTW, ordered my 8 of RAM today from Crucial. It should be here next week. Once that happens >install RAM > buy and install Lion > upgrade Aperture :)

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
October 14, 2011 - 7:31am

Florian,

Ok I am happy to report that after starting a 6:30am this morning I now have the IOA5/iCloud installed on the Macbook Pro and the iPad 2. It took until 12 noon to finish all of these upgrades.

Everything went smooth but it just took a long time. Had to do a number of updates for both the iPad 2 and the Macbook Pro after upgrading to IOA5.

So the iCloud is now ready to go, except I have not yet turned it on as I am waiting for the the iPhone 4S that arrives in the morning.
Want to do this once. Been reading there have been a few issues, but Apple seems to be working to resolve these issues.

I am sure the problem is because of the demand for moving from MobileMe to iCloud.
You have to keep in mind on how many millions are attempting to make this move.
Tomorrow should be very interesting as over 1 million new iPhone 4S will hit the airwaves.
I am sure there will be some issues. Lets hope for a smooth go.

Stu

by Florian Cortese
October 14, 2011 - 10:08am

Stu– Good luck and smooth sailing!

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
October 15, 2011 - 1:22am

Florian

Well, the new iPhone 4S arrived this morning and all was going just fine.
Had the iCloud ready to go with my iPad 2 and MacBook Pro.
Went through all the process of setting of the iPhone which was easy.
The problem came as I predicted is the fact the AT&T server to activate this phone is having problems. Just like I had stated I feel the server is over loaded and unable to activate all of these phones that arrived today. Just a message came up on the phone and stated I would receive an email when the phone is activated. Oh well I new this was going to happen.

Stu

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness