You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
What Causes This? #1
Darryn Morgan's picture
by Darryn Morgan
January 14, 2012 - 11:19am

Hi Everyone,

Every so often, a RAW file in Aperture does this….

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/derwood99/?action=view&current=Scr…

Any ideas as to causes and a fix?

Using Canon 500D.

Cheers

Darryn

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 15, 2012 - 1:02pm

Darryn,

Hm, I haven’t seen this in a long time. Are you using latest everything… OS and Aperture?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
January 15, 2012 - 1:08pm

Last time that happened to me I determined it was a corrupted file from the memory card. I had a few images with the problem. I stopped using that card and never saw the problem again.

Thomas

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 19, 2012 - 12:37am

Ive had this before. I have imported PS files tif or psd files, that had masks saved in the channels section. Once I deleted that the thumbnail and preview improved. If in PS layers I use a mask I place all adjustment layers in a folder above the background layer, and make sure you only have one R-G-B channel.
David

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Don rabideau's picture
by Don rabideau
April 19, 2012 - 3:01am

I believe it’s an issue with the graphics card. Likely a driver issue. Heres a long post on Apple’s support community https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2330532?start=0&tstart=0

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 7, 2012 - 6:42am

Tomas,

I understand your frustration and if it’s really bad then maybe you can talk them into a whole replacement computer. But while I get what you’re saying, you have to understand too that a computer is an intensely complex tool and the manufacturers responsibility is to do everything they can to fix or replace when problems arise, but that’s it. You wouldn’t blame Ford if your car broke down and you couldn’t get to a client meeting. You’d beg, borrow or rent another car to get the task done. You can do the same with a computer. As frustrating as it is, it doesn’t matter that it’s an expensive device. It’s just a machine and machines break. We have to deal with it as best we can.

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2012 - 7:30am

Tomas,

If they will replace it again, even if it dies again in 10 months, at least you get a new one for now, right?

Be sure to bring lots of crash reports, screenshots, etc to show them just in case you can’t repro it in the store.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 30, 2012 - 2:16am

Thomas,

Certainly seems to me that you have enough evidence to prove it’s a hardware issue! Tell them what you just told us, and with your history, I don’t see how they can deny it.

@PhotoJoseph

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 14, 2012 - 3:52am

Just curious if you tried opening this Library / image on another system to demonstrate it is not a corrupt image file. I’ve had image files corrupt when pulling off the CF card that have this appearance. When I try pulling them off the card again I get a clean import.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 15, 2012 - 4:22am

Glad to hear things seem better on the replacement system.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?