You are here

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Versions with unavailable master file cannot be exported #1
Ken Klein's picture
by Ken Klein
March 16, 2010 - 7:47pm

I get the title message when I try and export a new version. I can see and edit the picture. I think the problem started when I had to replace the hard drive. The new hard drive has a different name than the old drive. I tried the “reconnect” procedure but it does not see the Aperture library.

Thanks for any suggestions.

kenk

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 1, 2010 - 11:38am

Ken,

Very sorry I missed this one… I hope you’ve resolved the problem. If not, the problem isn’t the database, it’s because the hard drive has been renamed.

Click on the “Photos” view in the Library tab (second one down, under Projects). That will show ALL the photos in your library.

Select all photos and select File > Locate Referenced Files. This opens an interface match the Aperture files to the actual files on the hard drive.

Basically you select a file in the top-half, and find it in the finder in the bottom half. If you don’t see a bottom half, click “show reconnect options” near the bottom right. Once you’ve located a single file, it should reconnect the rest if the rest of the path hasn’t changed.

Let me know how that goes…

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Ken Klein's picture
by Ken Klein
April 2, 2010 - 4:39am

Super… Many thanks…Recovered masters for all but a small number. Will have to take a look at my work-flow. And. NOT rename the hard drive.

Ken

kenk

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 27, 2010 - 8:32pm

Goodness Jacques—you’re brave ;-)

@PhotoJoseph

Jacques S's picture
by Jacques S
May 27, 2010 - 9:26pm

Hehe - didn’t take too long actually… desperate measures were needed to avoid having a handicapped database as I didn’t want to re-import/tag/etc. :).

Cheers - ;J)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 17, 2010 - 10:42am

Ken,

Are you sure you can edit the picture? If there’s no available master, you should not be able to edit anything other than the metadata.

Let’s start with this… take a look at the image in the browser or viewer, and make sure metadata overlay is turned on (tap U or Y to turn it on in the browser or viewer, respectively). Tell me what icon you see in the lower right corner. If it’s a square with an arrow, it’s connected to the master. If it’s a square with an arrow and a red line through it, the master is offline (but Aperture thinks it knows where it is). If you see a yellow triangle, then Aperture has lost the master and needs to be told where it is.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Ken Klein's picture
by Ken Klein
March 17, 2010 - 7:12pm

Many thanks…

You are correct - the image can not be edited and in the lower right corner is a yellow triangle.
I have tried “repair database” and the situation still remains (yellow triangle). Is the next step to “rebuild database”?

Thanks
Ken

kenk

Jacques S's picture
by Jacques S
May 24, 2010 - 6:01am

Hi - the below is not for the faint of heart, but _did_ solve the problem for me…

I’ve had same prbs as above with “unavailable master images” – those were due to having migrated my aperture library onto a new (bigger) harddisk… the diskname was the same, but still I could not access the master images as the harddisk/volume appeared with “offline”-status in ‘Locate Referenced Files…’.

I found that aperture also keeps DiskUUID information in it’s internal library; I updated this value to the DiskUUID for the new harddisk and this solved the problem.

To find DiskUUID: “diskutil info /” ** – the DiskUUID is the Volume UUID
(**in my case the library was under root-volume:)

This value needs to be updated in Library.apdb file (in sqlite3 format) which in subdir of aperture library - typically /User/{username}/Pictures/{Aperture Library}/Database/.

In Library.apdb there is a table “RKVolume” which has entry/ies for volumes used in Aperture.

You need to update diskUuid value for the volume such it reflects new Volume UUID found with diskutil.
(note: to make easy you can use SQLite GUI tool for OSX).

BTW. make sure you make backup of Library.apdb file ;)

:J)

Joshua Hammontree's picture
by Joshua Hammontree
November 3, 2010 - 7:14pm

Hello Jacques,

I just registered here for the sole purpose of thanking you for your instructions to fix this problem - after upgrading my iMac’s HDD everything was working fine except Aperture - and now it, too, works perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to explain how to fix this!

Cheers / joshua

Jacques S's picture
by Jacques S
November 4, 2010 - 8:15am

Hi Joshua - many thanks; always nice to hear when some tip indeed has helped others!
Groetjes/regards - :Jacques

Sascha Wenninger's picture
by Sascha Wenninger
December 26, 2010 - 9:16pm

@Jacques
Thank you very very much for this information and great explanation! You have been a life saver!!!

Sascha

Nicolas's picture
by Nicolas
September 19, 2011 - 11:36pm

Hi Michael,

unfortunately the only thing you can recover are the previews (if you still see them in Aperture). These previews are located inside your Aperture Library, istelf by default located in <yourhomefolder>/Pictures/

Right click on it and select “Show package contents”, then navigate to find the previews (it’s in Previews/, then it is organised by Year/Month/Day)

Good luck

Nicolas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2011 - 10:04am

Michael,

As Nicolas said, you can access the Previews if you had Previews enabled. But you don’t need to open the package; just drag them out of Aperture to the desktop.

I’d do a Finder search for the master file names though. If only one project is missing, odds are it’s still in your system somewhere… unless you had the masters on the Desktop or some random folder (not where you usually store Masters) and that got deleted :(

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Dimpz Aj's picture
by Dimpz Aj
November 3, 2011 - 3:56am

Hi - the below is not for the faint of heart, but _did_ solve the problem for me...

I’ve had same prbs as above with “unavailable master images” – those were due to having migrated my aperture library onto a new (bigger) harddisk… the diskname was the same, but still I could not access the master images as the harddisk/volume appeared with “offline”-status in ‘Locate Referenced Files…’.

I found that aperture also keeps DiskUUID information in it’s internal library; I updated this value to the DiskUUID for the new harddisk and this solved the problem.

To find DiskUUID: “diskutil info /” ** – the DiskUUID is the Volume UUID
(**in my case the library was under root-volume:)

This value needs to be updated in Library.apdb file (in sqlite3 format) which in subdir of aperture library - typically /User/{username}/Pictures/{Aperture Library}/Database/.

In Library.apdb there is a table “RKVolume” which has entry/ies for volumes used in Aperture.

You need to update diskUuid value for the volume such it reflects new Volume UUID found with diskutil.
(note: to make easy you can use SQLite GUI tool for OSX).

BTW. make sure you make backup of Library.apdb file ;)

:J)

I am having this problem I had my library has managed but now I get yellow triangle on bottom right corner, I tried restoring from my vault but same issue…I recently formatted my HD.

Dimpz Aj's picture
by Dimpz Aj
November 3, 2011 - 4:09am

Another words I tried following J info but I am not able too follow much…I am new at this… in /database/root I see Library.apdb and I also see it in /database/apdb/Library.apdb which one I change volume uuid and then where do I change it I know it says RKVolume but when I open it in SQLite I have too many RKVolume names…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 3, 2011 - 5:27am

Dimpz,

So to clarify, you currently can’t reconnect to your master files, even though you know where they are and can point to them in the Reconnect Masters dialog?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 6, 2011 - 8:28pm

Hi
Please help, I have the red badge of the referenced files after upgrading my disc from 500GB to a 1TB disc. Now I cannot relocate the masters, changing the name of the disc to match the old one has no effect. I see from the above that it is the UUID (whatever that is) that maybe at fault and I have tried using the RazorLite tool, but it is complicated and I got a message unable to connect to Aperture database.

HELP !

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 7, 2011 - 8:33am

Colin,

You said the red badge; do you mean the curved arrow with the red line through it (means offline), or do you mean the big yellow triangle (means missing)?

Either way, you should be able to reconnect using the Reconnect Masters command, found under the File menu. We can explain how to use it if it’s not clear.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 7, 2011 - 3:57pm

Thanks for the reply
Yes, I mean the offline symbol. The reconnect option through relocate referenced files is greyed out. So no way to reconnect. As I said I tried the SQlite route, but it says unable to connect to database.
Is there any other way to force Aperture to recognise the new disc using the diskUUID - other than SQlite??
Hope you can help

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 7, 2011 - 4:08pm

Colin,

If Reconnect is grayed out and you’re sure you are pointing at the right image, hold down the Option key. This forces a reconnect based on fewer criteria than the default “let’s make sure this is the right image” code. Usually that will work.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 7, 2011 - 4:15pm

In the relocate screen, there are NO entries in the top section, that is why relocate buttons are greyed out. I assume the red line means offline, so Aperture cannot connect. But all the images are there, all I have done is clone the old disc to a bigger one as I was running out of space.
This should be a straight forward rename of he disc to sort out. Never been stumped like this before. J, above seems to be able to get SQlite to work, but no go with me.
Any ideas?

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 7, 2011 - 5:58pm

Hi
OK, I found SQlite Browser and downloaded that, the problem with SQlite browser still exists, I cannot connect to any of my Aperture databases, it says file cannot be read. Anyone, please, got any ideas ?? Aperture works fine using wither of the discs, just can’t find referenced files on the new bigger disc and I am sure there is nothing wrong with the discs (always reformat from new).

Help !

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 8, 2011 - 4:07am

Colin,

I think you’re getting ahead of yourself trying to use SQlite browsers and so-on.

If you don’t see any images in the top half of the Locate Referenced Files window (you said “relocate screen”, but I assume you mean the Locate Referenced Files window), then that’s because the images aren’t selected in Aperture.

Select the images before selecting the Locate Referenced Files command. If you have nothing selected, the menu command won’t even be available to open. You can select a range of photos in any Project, or go to the Photos view (under Projects view in the Library tab), and select as many photos as you like at once. But you do have to select the photos. Selecting the project won’t be enough.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 8, 2011 - 4:39am

Hi Joseph

Sorry for not using correct terms. But also sorry to have to disappoint, I did have images selected, but the red line means they are offline (obviously they are not it is just that Aperture cannot see them as the disc has changed).

I have seen this problem on several forums and people keep ignoring the fact that it happens. One or two people seem to be able to change the disc unique identifier with some SQ database tool, which is what is causing the problem, but I cannot.

I am going to have to try serious options like ditching Aperture soon.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 8, 2011 - 6:19am

Colin,

Perhaps your library is hosed, but just to be certain…

Your photos are marked offline (red line through them). If you select the offline photos and open the Locate Referenced Files command, you are or are not seeing them listed? Here’s what mine looks like, just selecting images that are currently online [screenshot]. Notice it says 38 files; 0 not found. Yet I can still select one of the rows, and see those images on the right. Once those are loaded, if you select one of them, then navigate to the matching file on the bottom half of the window, and then if the Reconnect button doesn’t wake up (even though you know you’ve selected the right file), if you press the option key, with any luck that’ll make that button available.

Other things to try to get things back in gear…

a) repair/rebuild Library by holding command-option on launch
b) drag a problem Project out of Aperture, and open it as a unique Library
c) if that still isn’t working, create a brand new empty Library, and import the exported Library from step b above.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 9, 2011 - 12:02am

Ok Joseph have fun on your trip, I have arrived at a solution - not one I wanted, but it is working fine. My 500GB disc was full with 6GB free that was the reason to buy the 1TB disc as an upgrade. I cloned to that and hoped that would work. Then I found the offline master problem as most of my images are referenced to folders on the same drive, why they cannot be found by Aperture is still a mystery.

I used the referenced approach because I had heard that when an Aperture Library reaches above 700GB, it becomes almost un-workable. If this is not true (or has been fixed by Apple since v2) then I am fine.

So I thought about consolidating the library, which I did - got loads of errors of disc has no more space etc etc. - even though I had ‘move’ files ticked instead of ‘copy’.

In the end the disc would not load into Aperture and Aperture quit each time I tried to open it - saying disc has no more space. Good job I bought 2 of the 1TB discs. I cloned again from this full disc and low and behold the library on the 1TB drive works fine. I did a rebuild library just to be safe, this took several hours.

So my Aperture Library is now working OK.

But where to go from here ?? If anyone has any cast iron suggestions of which is the best route then I will be happy to hear from them. My library is not easy to split up. My daughter is a wedding photographer and it is sensible for her to use removable discs, as she will not need to look at images form several different weddings at once.

I have images of people, birds, animals, scenery, snow, clouds etc etc - all these need to be available at any one time. I had thought that splitting the disc into subjects would be the easy route, but even that wouldn’t work - nor would splitting them into years (date of capture).

So I guess I will struggle along with just one library for now and see how I go, thinking all the time of a way to make this easier.

Thanks for all your help, if you care to look at my web site I would be happy to send you a gift from there, can’t afford a donation at the moment, maybe later on.
www.wildart.co.uk
regards

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 9, 2011 - 7:24am

Colin,

The reason you were getting out-of-space errors is that Aperture wants twice as much space as is needed to move files. Even if you’re moving a file, as far as I understand it, it will actually copy, verify, then delete the original, to ensure no problems with the transfer—so it still needs lots of space.

Certainly can’t explain why the new clone is working fine, but that’s great.

You can have huge libraries with masters spread across multiple drives, no problem. I would recommend you read the book “ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3” and perhaps also “In-Depth Getting Started with Aperture 3” as that will give some solid tips on organizing large libraries.

Best of luck,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 10, 2011 - 2:10am

Hi Joseph
I kind of knew that would be the case, but at least it worked. I am pretty sure now that I can replicate my problem, so will do that over the next few days and will post the definitive solution. The new clone was no different to the last one, what was different was that I consolidated the library so that there are no referenced files at all.

I am well aware that it is possible to spread multiple libraries over many drives - my concern is that access to any file at any time would depend on that drive being online and with 5 or 6 drives that will mean a lot of swapping about - not an ideal situation as it would involve a lot of wasted time. When you work for yourself you quickly realise that time is money.

The solution to my problem of accessing any file at any time, is not going to be fixed by any further understanding of Aperture and its filing system, it will be a question of whether I am prepared to put up with swapping drives to find files - or - on finding a neater solution.

I will work on replicating my initial problem in the hope that it will help others.
regards
Colin

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 10, 2011 - 7:58pm

Colin,

It sounds like the easiest solution would be to get bigger drives. I recently moved to a Promise RAID… big, fast, and redundant!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 11, 2011 - 4:21am

A SOLUTION - and a warning to other users of Aperture !

Firstly, I feel like I am shouting into a void ! No one has acknowledged the problem at all - and I believe several people have experienced the same problem. And your last comment Joseph, about larger drives really had me scratching my head … THAT is exactly how I ended up with the problem !

My Aperture drive was running out of space so I cloned my drive (with the Aperture Library and ALL my referenced files in folders, organised by subject) onto a new 1TB drive. Then to my horror I found that ALL my referenced files were offline.

Well I can replicate the problem, I have just cloned this new drive again with 1 new file referenced on the SAME drive. Opening that Aperture Library for the first time (no other drives online) shows that file as OFFLINE - patently it isn’t, it is there on the SAME drive as the Aperture Library. Not only that, it is impossible to reconnect those files as they DO NOT show up in the browser when ‘Locate referenced Files’ is selected - see this screenshot which shows file APtest not showing up at all.

This is a bug that needs fixing, it obviously has something to do with the way Aperture stores info (the drive name and unique identifier) about the drive - the UUID - that everyone talks about.

So let this be a warning to other users - referenced files is the way to go - BUT - DO NOT store them on the SAME drive as your Aperture Library. Thinking about it now it seems odd to do it in the first place, but to me at the time it seemed sensible. Store all the photos including the Aperture Library on ONE disc, then all you have to do is clone it when you need a backup or clone it again to upgrade to a bigger disc.

Sorry to have to report - that is obviously not going to work, it has been possible in other versions of Aperture, because that is the way I have my system set up - but not anymore.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 11, 2011 - 7:55pm

Colin,

The problem isn’t inherently that the referenced files are on the same drive as the Library — it’s that you’re cloning the drive. I’m assuming that in the cloning process, everything is duplicated exactly and is expected to be duplicated exactly, but since the UUID is not the same (because it’s a different drive), and Aperture hasn’t had the chance to remap the location of the files (because it was cloned, and not copied), then therein lies your problem.

My suggestion of the solution being to use a bigger drive was to facilitate you having to swap drives, not to solve the cloning issue.

The solution to the cloning issue is to simply not clone. Do a Finder copy, and truly, the best thing is to let Aperture relocate the files for you using the relocate command. I’ve done that and also simply finder-copied the files, then pointed the referenced file locator at one of the new files, and it reconnects everything seamlessly.

Or of course, if you really are truly using one drive for everything, go managed. Makes life easier.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

Have you signed up for the ApertureExpert mailing list?

@PhotoJoseph

Michael Carr's picture
by Michael Carr
September 9, 2011 - 2:07am

If you can not locate the master files, is there any possible way to get the version of an image out of the Aperature Library? I’ve got such a great system, but somewhere between new computers I lost a small but important project. All I can find of it is what’s showing up in the Aperature library, but the images are not connected to any masters.

Is there anything I can do?

Colin Woolf's picture
by Colin Woolf
November 8, 2011 - 4:47pm

Hi Joseph
Thanks for that. We are finally reaching an understanding of the problem, I have a screenshot here of what my screen looks like with 5 of the problem images selected, how do I send that to you??

No files show up on the right at all ! All my files are on the one disc, not on an attached external disc - if that makes any difference.

So maybe thoughts on how to set up Aperture so that you can clone the disc ought to be at the top of Apple’s agenda ??

I am seriously thinking of ways around this, maybe just having the library on one disc and separate discs for the different projects may be the way forward. But that will be a serious pain when importing mixed images form 4 different cameras, as discs will have to swapped at each import - messy !

I will try your dragging projects out a bit later today with a new fresh disc.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 8, 2011 - 6:37pm

Colin,

You can share a screenshot by hosting it anywhere you like and just pasting the URL in a reply here, or if you can’t do that, there’s a dropbox under the MORE menu at the top of this screen. Be sure to follow the directions there and notify me so I know to look.

FYI I’m leaving in a few hours and will be traveling for the next day, so if I don’t get back to you right away, that’s why.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Adrian Freisinger's picture
by Adrian Freisinger
August 8, 2013 - 9:50am

Hi Joseph and Colin

After upgrading my iMac’s HDD everything was working fine except Aperture.
It strikes me that before changing my HDD, the xxxxxx.aplibrary weighed 100 Gb and now weighs 28b, as might happen ?
Update the DISKUUID in RKVolume table but the problem continues.
I have tried “repair database” and “rebuild database” but the situation still remains (yellow triangle). I´m sorry but I speak a little english. Thanks a lot ! Regards

Any ideas

Adrian Freisinger's picture
by Adrian Freisinger
August 8, 2013 - 10:38am

Sorry I meant 28 gb instead of 28b

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness