You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vaults #1
Kate Thomas's picture
by Kate Thomas
July 15, 2012 - 5:55am

How do you go about checking that your vaults are O.K ? That they actually contain your photos and are functional as back-ups?

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 15, 2012 - 3:06pm

Well, there’s a few things:
All depend on how certain you need to be….

1. Is the little sync circle in Aperture grey?
2. In Finder is the Vault size *similar* to that of your library?
3. If you right click on the Vault and select “Show Package Contents” - does everything appear to be there? Don’t move anything around, but are Masters in the Masters folder?
4. Try restoring the Vault to a new library. You’ll need to create an entirely new library - which means double the disk space - to do this, but that’s the most certain you’ll ever be.

Bottom line: Vaults are a very solid backup plan. As long as your backup disk is working, your Vault should be too!

Ingetje Tadros's picture
by Ingetje Tadros
October 16, 2013 - 11:52am

Hi, all my libraries have Vaults on an external harddrive and i update regular, now i was looking at these Vaults on the external harddrive and see there’s a lock on them.
I was trying to open a vault just to see if i can look into the Vault and if it looks the same as my normal Library, but it does not open.
Why is that? and how do i know now if axially all my images are on that Vault?
So my question is ‘how can i open the Vault on the external harddrive”, is this possible

awaiting for a reply , thanks so much

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 16, 2013 - 12:04pm

Ingetje,

Take a look at this article on Aperture Vault’s File Extension Secret and see if it helps you out. It describes how to open a vault like a normal library by unlocking and changing its file extension.

Tom

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness