You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vault update taking forever :( #1
Sharon Ann's picture
by Sharon Ann
July 6, 2012 - 1:24am

Hi, Can you tell me how long it should take to update a vault of 67,700 photos? Some of which are referenced photos. It has been taking forever to do, so I started waiting and not doing it every day like I used to. It took over 3 hrs. the other day. Any suggestions or is this normal? thanks Sharon Ann

Note: I am using 3.2.4. Our Aperture is only used for photo management for a university. We do little with editing, presets, etc.

Sharon Ann

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 6, 2012 - 1:51am

Hi Sharon
Good question and everyone should know their own specific time. If I delete lots of Images out of the referenced Library it will take hours to update the Vault. IF I have problems with the lib like after the upgrade to 3.3.1 it took 16+hours. Now that its seems normal and I import 200 referenced images it will take 30 minutes. If I just change some metadata or adjustments on a few images it takes 20-25 min. I update after every import.

So 3 hrs can be normal if there were lots of changes. Updates take longer after AP Repairs and Rebuilds which are needed for faster updates ironically. Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Sharon Ann's picture
by Sharon Ann
July 6, 2012 - 4:32am

Thank you so much for responding. I emptied my trash on my computer and in Aperture. Hoping that will help. I have about 12,000 in referenced files. I’ll try again tomorrow. Blessings, sharon ann

Sharon Ann

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 6, 2012 - 7:19am

It really depends on a lot of factors about how long a vault update should take.
The biggest things that will affect backup time are the size of your library in actual gigabytes (67k raw shots will take much longer than the same amount of jpegs), and the connection to your backup drive. Additionally, the number / amount of changes you’ve made from the last backup will be a huge factor after the initial vault update. With that many images 3 hours seems normal if you’ve made a decent amount of changes. Furthermore, as your library grows and grows it can continue to take longer because Aperture has to compare and check more information. I have around 55k images in my library, and more than half are referenced, and with about 350GBs of masters it can take quite a few hours for an initial backup, and easily 2 hours if I haven’t backed up in a long time.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness