You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vault problems: Unable to update & Unable to delete old ones #1
Anders Stahls's picture
by Anders Stahls
June 23, 2012 - 7:00pm

Hi

Have been struggling with my Vaults for a longer time. AP 3.2.4 does not seem to be able to update my primary external Vault ( on a WD triple interface 1.5TB disk).

Neither am I able to remove from the list of vaults two old ones that are since long broken (both hard disk failures).

What to do?

I have MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2,93 GHz 12GB RAM running Mc OSX 10.6.8.

Should I update to OSX 10.7 and get AP 3.3 ??

Is there a bug in AP 3.2.4 ? Is my AP 3.2.4 damaged? Seems likely since I am unable to remove old ones from the list.

I checked my external Vault and it reads and writes with normal speed.

Getting more frustrated as the Library grows and I am unable to update Vault.

Hoping I will get some answer! :)

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 4, 2012 - 10:50am

When you say AP3.2.4 refuses to upgrade your vault what do you mean? Does the process crash or takes a day and is still doing something… god (and Steve) knows what?

Make a new Vault (no rule says you can only have one) save the old one but put it in a folder with a name that you’ll remember why its there. My Versions for current Vault and Library Match Ver3.3.1. Once yours is updated correctly or rebuilt from scratch they should match. Oh rebuilding a Vault it will take a long time. How many photos in you library do you have and how many GB is your Lib????

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 30, 2012 - 6:38pm

Anders,

Definitely run the repairs as DBmoore has suggested. Also since you can’t delete the old vaults from the vault list, you could try removing them from the package directly. However you should ensure you have a complete backup before proceeding — even if that just means making a Finder copy of your Library. If you right-click on the Library in the Finder and Show Package Contents, dig in as this screenshot shows and you can remove the Vaults from here. I have never tried this personally, so proceed with caution and again back up! [screenshot]

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Anders Stahls's picture
by Anders Stahls
July 2, 2012 - 1:13pm

Hello

Thanks DBmoore for the suggestions. I did the repair commands. Disk Utilities Verify thinks my Vault and AP Library are OK. AP Library Repair Permissions took a while, a few minutes

Imported some 100 new photos. Still AP3.2 refuses to update my Vault. Library size is now 404,7 Gb and Vault size is 388 Gb.

Nor can I remove broken Vaults in AP 3.2.4.

Notized that the version-number for Library is 3.2.4 while the Vault has 3.2.2. What does this mean?

Could my Vault be damaged?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 23, 2012 - 11:34pm

Well I now recommend doing a Disk Utilites Verify and permission repair along with Aperture permissions and repair before any large Os or Aperture upgrade. Which is the same thing Id recommend for you. As much repairing of the Lib and Vault before moving forward with upgrades the better. Try not to carry old problems further along. Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Anders Stahls's picture
by Anders Stahls
July 13, 2012 - 3:34pm

Sorry for the delay, been on a holiday trip.

Thanks DBmoore for taking the time to help me.

Before the trip I made a New Vault on an other external hard disk. I took AP3.2 about 6 hours to do it. The version number matches my Library and is 3.2.4 and both the Library and the New Vault were of the same size, about 404 GB.

Now that I’m back I imported some hundreds of new pictures into the AP library and tried to update the New Vault. But AP3.2.4 refuses to update the New Vault.

Apparently it is the AP3.2.4 program that is somehow damaged.

I guess I have to buy a new Aperture program and update it it to version 3.3 and at the same time update OsX to 10.7. Any other ideas?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 13, 2012 - 9:14pm

get your Vaults up to date before you change the os or Aperture. This is very important to have a good lib and solid vault before upgrading. Plus Mountain lion is about to come out in a week or two.

Use the option command key and start aperture. Run all three options in the dialog box. Rebuild the lib will be the last on the list. Then update vault…. This will take a long time and will look like nothing is happening, but it is so let it run. Mine was 36 hours,
What makes you think your vault is not updating/working?

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Anders Stahls's picture
by Anders Stahls
July 14, 2012 - 4:40am

@DBmoore:
I conclude that updating vault is not working because as I press the command ‘Update Vault’ nothing is happening. There is no change. If I remeber correctly something should happen below the upper menu in the AP main window. A small ‘curtain box’ should appear for short while saying something like: ‘comparing Library and Vault’. Am I right about this? The size of the Vault is not changing either when I look att vault size in the Finder, the calculated size stays the same.

I haven’t left it sitting for hours, I conclded after a few minutes waiting that the ‘update vault’ function does not work.

The colour of the symbol in the small box in lower left of the AP window is not changing from red to green either. That I think is another sign of ‘update vault’ function not working.

What do you think? Anyone else has som idea about what to do?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 14, 2012 - 9:21am

Just to be sure Im clear. There is a red icon button of a circle made of arrows. If you press that you do not see a new dialog box open up confirming that you want to update the Vault? In your last post you said “command Update vault” . Its just a single click on the button, no added command or option.

Have you Repaired AP permissions, repaired the Lib, and Rebuilt the Lib? I stated that in my last post and until that is done I can’t give you other things to try.. Sorry

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 15, 2012 - 4:55pm

Yeah, when you update a vault two things should happen:

You should see a temporary dialog box that asks you to confirm to update the Vault. Then you should see a progress bar the top of the window which blocks you from using Aperture while updating the Vault. Sometimes, Aperture won’t update the vault because there isn’t enough disk space. It will give you a warning but it doesn’t appear for long so it’s easy to miss.

Anders Stahls's picture
by Anders Stahls
July 16, 2012 - 4:29am

@DBmoore:
Yes I did do the repairing of AP permissions, I repaired the Library and I think I did the rebuilding of Library too.

Yes, It’s no difference between pressing the Red Button down left in the AP window (without any pressing of Option or Command buttons) OR doing the same thing from File-menu-drop-list. No temporary dialog box appears. AP does nothing, no matter how many times I restart the Aperture 3.2.4 or the computer or the external Hard Disk (with Vault).

@Michael Ball:
You are right. I do not see any ‘temporary dialog box’ appearing after pressing Red Button.
I do have enough disk space (a 1 TB disk with only the 404 GB Vault, nothing else). I have not missed any warning by AP.

@DBmoore & Michael Ball:

I do need some expert advice on this. I’m in a dead end with this. And right now I see as the only possibility to:

1) either make a New Vault every time I wish to backup my APLibrary

OR

2) buying a new AP program from the shop and installing it after throwing out the old one.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 16, 2012 - 5:26am

Well Try making a new Vault and see if you get the dialog boxes to appear. If they don’t appear for that then I would start upgrading the the AP and OS. If you can make a new Vault then after its done change some ratings or label colors or edit some images and update the Vault again. When you are up and running again frequent Vault updates are helpful to keep the time down. I seem to remember having a problem with an old Vault and I just made a new and moved on. There are permissions and caches you could delete, so look for the FAQ on this site. Have you run disk Utilites to repair the HD? Do you get an OK when done? There is Fsck if you do find problems with Disk Utilites. Michael will hopeful chime in too. Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness