You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanishing scans #1
David Edge's picture
by David Edge
January 29, 2012 - 4:19pm

I scanned a lot of my old slides as jpegs and out them into Aperture. Every so often one of them becomes corrupted. It hadn't happened for while, but another went 'pop' on Friday. Like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13609743/Screen%20Shot%202012-01-27%20at%2017.54…

The viewer displays 'unsupported image format' and none of the permissions/ reindex/ rebuild options help.

d.

Any ideas anyone?

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 30, 2012 - 3:28am

David,

Try exporting the Master File > Export > Master and opening that in Preview. Assuming it opens, re-import it into Aperture.

If you had any adjustments or metadata that you want to keep, you should be able to lift and stamp them from the old to the new one.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
February 3, 2012 - 4:37am

Thanks Joseph
Last time I did some inconclusive poking about in the package contents, that’s a more direct way to get at it. The results were as follows:

Export Master - crashed aperture
Fixed permissions - exported a 5kB file with the name of the original master
Repaired database - exported the same 5kB file
Rebuilt database - Aperture crashed

Frankly easier to rescan all of the destroyed files, but it’s an unhappy state of affairs.

Did I read something recently about exporting all and reimporting back curing Aperture problems?

David

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 3, 2012 - 4:46am

David,

Yikes, bad news indeed.

Yes, one of the things you can try to do is export your projects as new Libraries, then import those into a new clean Library, which has a tendency to fix things. Or, just take your entire Aperture Library and import that into another new, empty Library.

I don’t know exactly why that seems to work, but must have something to do with rewriting the database.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness