You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Using Image Title As A File Name? #1
Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
October 14, 2012 - 8:53pm

Aperture's file naming presets give a lot of options, but those don't include using the image title as the file name. There's version name, original file name and custom name, but no title.

Is there a way to use title?

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
October 15, 2012 - 12:15am

Unfortunately not.

I’m hoping the significant omission of not including at least some metadata fields (like title, caption, headline and maybe others) within file naming gets added in the next major release, but I’m also not betting on it.

In the meantime, Applescript might be a solution. It’s possible to set the version name with the title field, for example. You could then use the resulting version name for the filename at export. I haven’t looked at Applescript enough to see how complicated it would be to set the filename directly, but it’s likely possible.

At what point in the workflow do you want to set the filename to the title?

by Bob Rockefeller
October 15, 2012 - 2:49am

Jim,

I’d like to set the file name to the image’s title on export. So I could get “MyFavoriteImage.jpg”.

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
October 15, 2012 - 6:56am

I think that complicates it a little…maybe a lot, actually. You would have to develop or find an Applescript that essentially replaces Aperture’s export function, and that’s likely not a trivial effort.

When, and how, is the value in the Title field being assigned? I’m curious why the version name can’t be used instead.

by Bob Rockefeller
October 15, 2012 - 7:00am

For my workflow, I’d like the title to be the title of the image and version name to refer to something about that particular version on the image.

Plus, Aperture assigns version names automatically so that an image with a version name of “something” ends up with a version name of “something - version 2” when I create a new version. Messy.

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
October 15, 2012 - 7:14am

Well, you might be out of options given Aperture’s current feature set (or lack thereof). There might be other ways to “to refer to something about that particular version on the image” by using a different field, e.g., a custom field. Perhaps it might be worth looking for a different approach.

I agree that default version naming is a pain. That’s another area where Aperture needs to give us the control–in the form of letting us define default version naming–rather than making up our mind for us, thank you. Of course you can always change version names, either image by image or using batch change.

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
October 15, 2012 - 7:40am

Along the lines of rethinking your requirements here’s one other thought that might help you…

You can display different fields in the metadata accompanying an image…all defined by the View|Metadata Display menu. So theoretically you could swap the use of Title and Version Name and still display the info below an image that would “refer to something…”.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?