You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unsupported Image Format #1
Howard Miller's picture
by Howard Miller
April 24, 2011 - 8:28am

I was looking back at some photos I took last fall, and as I clicked on the preview, it changed to a black square with an exclamation point and “Unsupported Image Format”.

Very odd. I've worked with these files in Aperture 3 for at least 6 months.

I clicked several images taken at the same time, and they all went to the dreaded exclamation point. I then exited Aperture, restarted my IMac and went back to the same series of images. The rest of the image look fine, open fine, but I can't re-open the unsupported files.

Any thoughts? Any way to re-link these files so they open correctly?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2011 - 12:36am

Howard,

Try repairing permissions (hold down command and option while launching Aperture). I think you have permissions issues since you’ve been moving users around.

Then try to reconnect.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
April 25, 2011 - 10:17pm

Where do these files normally reside? Are they managed files (within Aperture Library) or reference files either on an external drive or elsewhere on your hard drive? Sounds like they may have been corrupted somehow. If you can physically find where they are housed it might help someone figure out a solution to your problem.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Howard Miller's picture
by Howard Miller
April 28, 2011 - 8:55am

Great question.

They are referenced files located on the same hard drive, but under a different user account. Per a previous post, I moved my Aperture version from another user account.

So the files weren’t being shared nicely from one user account to the other. So I fixed that. Both accounts are sharing the files very nicely. But I still can’t get the preview to update.

While holding the control button down, I clicked the image that isn’t previewing correctly, then clicked on “locate referenced files”, found the file in the directory string, hit reconnect, but then nothing happened.

Any thoughts on how to get these reconnected?

Jeremiah Hill's picture
by Jeremiah Hill
December 10, 2011 - 10:59am

Thanks for your reply Joseph; even if you don’t have a solid solution, it’s comforting to know with more certainty that it’s part of a larger bug (which is what I assumed), and not just some particular problem of my system.

As for consolidating my masters… that’s not presently feasible… on a recent necessary library rebuild (one of a handful since my last post), I noted that I currently have over 400,000 photos. Obviously, when I get some time I could probably thin that out considerably, but still, it gives you an idea of how many images I’m dealing with. Currently, my system is on a 500GB hard drive. I also run Final Cut Studio on the same system (video files on external), and have a 60GB iTunes collection. Net result is that I can’t really afford the space for several hundred thousand 8-21 Megapixel images on my system hard drive.

As for re-importing the masters… the issue is happening to recently imported images just as much. It’s only that library rebuilds don’t always seem to help images I haven’t touched in a long while. So I don’t think re-importing the masters will work.

I had considered a major overhaul of the way my library is organized. Prior to Aperture 3, I primarily used ‘Projects’ as a kind of huge folder into which I placed albums. Given that I travel a lot, often a Project will often contain all of my albums and folders of every shot taken in a given country over a given time period (sometimes years). As a result, I have projects with huge numbers of images in them.

Some time ago, I read somewhere that sometimes placing the old files into new projects can remedy the false image format problem. I tried this on a small scale, and it didn’t seem to help. But I was wondering if perhaps changing my whole library into smaller projects would potentially have an effect? I’d rather not waste my time if I know it won’t work. I noticed in the way Aperture 3 it seems biased to import every new batch of photos as a project, rather than an album–I thought perhaps something in the Aperture 3 design might require smaller projects to operate smoothly. Is there any possible truth to this?

I’m also having issues with Aperture quitting during heavy image editing periods, particularly skin smoothing. I just re-start and it’s fine, but it’s a little frustrating for the system I’m running it on. At other times, it just seems a bit sluggish for no apparent reason… particularly when I’m scrolling through my pre-set adjustments in the adjustments HUD, and sometimes when I’m doing skin smoothing.

Perhaps I haven’t given you any more to work with. But if you have any further advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
December 10, 2011 - 12:29pm

You use words like “sluggish”, how much RAM is your machine running? If U can afford to do so max it out (I have 12gb in mine). I work a lot of large projects in RAW exclusively and never have issues.

Jeremiah Hill's picture
by Jeremiah Hill
November 20, 2011 - 12:05pm

I have a similar question to the one above…

In mid 2010, I moved over from a 2006 MacBook Pro to a new 2010 i7 2.66GHz model. At that time, I also bought Aperture 3 to upgrade from Aperture 2. Aperture 2 worked fine… loved it.

Shortly thereafter, I started getting the “unsupported image” format on seemingly random files throughout my library, mostly JPEGS referenced to an external HD formatted to the Mac OS Extended (journaled) format. I did some hunting around on forums and got the suggestion to turn Aperture 3 to 32 bit instead of 64 bit. So, did that. I also did the full library rebuild upon start up. This seemed to fix most of the “unsupported image files”, except then I’d go back to other, older files and find other ‘unsupported image format” files here and there. I’m a photographer, and at that time, my library contained about 100,000 images.

Once in a while, however, I get the “unsupported image format” suddenly coming up on images that I’m actually working on, as I’m working on them. Usually this happens after a period of heavy editing, where I’ve done a lot of edits, particularly extensive skin smoothing and retouching. I’ll click on other images, and they will go from being perfectly fine, to “unsupported image format”. But then I’ll find other images, even in the same album, that work fine. It’s totally bizarre.

Rebuilding the library nearly always fixes this problem–except on older images. But if I start working on the older images, THEN rebuilding the library seems to fix them as well.

The main thing is, even though I have a fix for the problem, it’s a big pain when I’m in the middle of a major project and suddenly this issue comes up. It means having to stop, and wait 2 hours or more as my library rebuilds, OR trying to find an alternate project to work on that still works (sometimes this doesn’t work as nearly every image I click on suddenly becomes ‘Unsupported’), and doing the rebuild over night while I’m sleeping.

I can find all sorts of stuff on the net about this “unsupported image format” issue, but nothing that seems directly related to my issue–it has nothing to do with RAW files (which I barely shoot in), and seems quite random in it’s selection of images to choose as “unsupported”.

Also–looking on my drive, I see the files are still there. Usually. On one occasion, I noticed that some of the files on the drive that were coming up as ‘unsupported’ were actually unreadable in preview, too. I used disk utility and did a basic disc repair and this problem corrected in minutes. But now I still get the same issue in Aperture (sometimes every couple of days if I’m editing a lot, and doing lots of skin smoothing and retouching), but no sign of corruption on my disk.

This is all very strange to me, and has baffled me for the past year. Any suggestions?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 22, 2011 - 5:52pm

Jeremiah,

This does seem to be one of those issues that keeps popping up, and has never been fully fixed by Apple. I think they call this a “whack-a-mole” bug :)

Have you tried consolidating problem images as Managed? I wonder if that might help… next time you see the error, select all the photos in that Project and File > Consolidate Masters…. Then, relaunch Aperture and see what happens.

My experience with this shows that it’s usually a graphics memory issue, which is why you’ve seen it after periods of heavy editing. However your system is more than adequate and shouldn’t be having issues like that.

Another option, although probably less convenient, is to try reimporting old photos. Since you said this is more prone to older collections, perhaps reimporting the photos will help. To isolate the masters, choose File > Export > Masters and then reimport that batch. It means losing adjustments, so obviously it’s not ideal, but it could be worth a try at least in the name of understanding the issue better.

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 13, 2011 - 6:13am

Jeremiah,

Really large projects isn’t the most efficient way for Aperture to work, but I don’t think that’d give you the unsupported images problem.

Here’s something to try though; your comment on adding older photos to a project made me think of this. Create a new project and drag all the photos and then all the albums/books/whatever from a problem project into it. Basically you’re just moving everything from an old project to a new one. See if that makes any difference. Also, you cold try exporting a project then reimporting it. This may take some time as importing projects into really big libraries seems to be a slow process, but it could be worth trying. I’ve seen problems get fixed that way. In fact, I’ve seen a lot of problems go away by simply merging an entire Library with a new, empty Library. That does however take a while and require a lot of free space (usually 2x the existing Library size).

Other than that, I’d say start a totally new Library, come up with a folder/project structure that makes sense to you (I’d encourage you to read my “ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3” ebook if you haven’t already), and start clean. Assuming the problem goes away, you could either start migrating pieces from the old Library over, or just switch back to the old Library when you need to access photos there. Believe me I know this isn’t ideal, but it could be less hassle than the current problems you’re having.

It’s easy to overlook this, but I do like to remind users occasionally that it’s sometimes easier to work around a problem than to try to fix it.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?