You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unknown lens info #1
Kåre Mikkelsen's picture
by Kåre Mikkelsen
August 24, 2012 - 3:30am

For pictures taken with Tokina 11–16 mm f/2.8 on my Canon 60D, the lens is identified as “Unknown (160) 11–16 mm” in the metadata tab. For JPEG files I have found a solution on net at http://touristathome.tumblr.com/post/24342878728/unknown-lens-aperture . However, the solution does not work for RAW (.CR2) files. I have downloaded the ExifTool, but I do not have enough knowledge to even try to change a script using this tool. Can anybody give me an advice on how I can get correct EXIF information for my Tokina lens?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 24, 2012 - 7:48am

Kåre,

Read this post “Adding EXIF Data to Scans or PhotoCD Files” where I describe modifying EXIF data using a tool called ExifChanger, which has an interface (not command line like the one you linked to above). That tool might be able to help you out?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kåre Mikkelsen's picture
by Kåre Mikkelsen
August 26, 2012 - 12:16am

Thanks for the tip. However there must be an easier way to correct the lens info for the Tokina lens for images in RAW format and also in JPEG. For my other lenses I do not have this problem. It must be an Aperture issue to correct this in future versions.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 26, 2012 - 2:27am

Kåre,

It’s unlikely that this is an Aperture problem. Third party lenses don’t always communicate this metadata correctly to the camera, and if they don’t, then the camera can’t write it into the EXIF file.

If you open the image in another application that can read metadata, such as Photoshop or Lightroom or even the ExifChanger app noted above (there are free EXIF readers available as well, just google it), do you see the full lens info?

If you see correct info in other apps, then yes, this is an Aperture problem. However if the data is incorrect in all apps, then you know that this is the lens itself causing the problem.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Kåre Mikkelsen's picture
by Kåre Mikkelsen
August 26, 2012 - 3:40am

I have read that the correct lens information could be found in the LensID tag, while Aperture seems to use the sometimes incomplete Lens tag to display the lens data. Any comments to that?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 26, 2012 - 3:49am

Kåre,

Again, if other software isn’t reading it correctly, then you can’t blame Aperture. If the camera or lens is putting the info in the wrong field, or in a field that is not an EXIF standard (this is a governed body of information, not just a randomly generated field), then again you can’t blame Aperture. If, however, other software does read it, then you can and should file a report with Apple.

Have you tried reading the data in another application yet?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 26, 2012 - 9:06am

I have that Tokina lens. I opened an image taken with it in GraphicConverter and it reports the LensID is: Tokina AT-X 116 AF Pro DX 11-16mm f/2.8. This image was originally a RAW file imported into Aperture and then exported as a version (JPEG).

So the LensID is being handled by Aperture and included in exports but I guess it just doesn’t display it in the EXIF Info section of Aperture.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness