You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Transferring Iphoto library to Aperture #1
Flint McDowell's picture
by Flint McDowell
November 19, 2012 - 3:05pm

First off, love the site, watching the training videos made my girlfriend and I confident enough to switch over to Aperture.

I apologize if this has been covered, (we did search the forums) but we are unsure how the latest changes to iPhoto/Aperture (consolidated library) affect the best practices from moving pictures from iPhoto to Aperture.

Case 1 - Library in iPhoto 8.1.2 on different physical laptop from where Aperture exists, nothing really done other than importing. Some photos have descriptions to remember events etc. Using referenced masters on local drive until I buy an external drive.

Case 2 - Extensive library in iPhoto version 9.4.2 on multiple machines/external drives. Using referenced masters on external drive, as well as locally for Aperture. Will move all to external drive(s) once we choose the best solution.

We are thinking that getting photos out of iPhoto and into Aperture is still important even with the patch consolidating the libraries.

Is there a better way other than just exporting from iPhoto and then importing (same as from a cf card) into Aperture? We are utilizing the approach specified in the training videos.

Flint

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 24, 2012 - 1:27pm

For the iPhoto 9.4.2 libraries, all you need to do is import those libraries into Aperture using File->Import->Library…

The iPhoto 8 library cannot be directly imported to Aperture. Is it possible to copy that library to a Mac with iPhoto 9.4.2 and upgrade it? You could then import it into Aperture easily.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness