You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stacks and Stars #1
iHarley's picture
by iHarley
May 31, 2011 - 2:38am

I shoot RAW & JPEG and export them both in. I find this can help in weeding through my photos as I can look at the JPEG of a questionable shot to see what it could look like. After the photos are imported I autostack them so the RAW and JPEG are stacked together and then I go through rating them. Problem is the star rating isn't getting through to the JPEG version of the stack. Is there a way to make this work?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 31, 2011 - 4:04am

Iain,

If you import using Aperture as RAW+JPEG Pairs, assigning either the RAW or the JPEG as master, any changes you make to one will automatically be applied to its partner [screenshot].

Otherwise, Aperture sees them as two separate files and doesn’t know to rate them both. When you stack them, that’s no different than stacking two completely different photos; Aperture doesn’t know the difference.

Unfortunately there’s no way to make or break a RAW+JPEG pair after import. Import is the only time it can be done.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
May 31, 2011 - 4:11am

Hi Joseph,

Thanks, I thought that was the case. I also thought that when I imported this latest session I had chosen the RAW+JPEG with RAWs being the master. I’m not sure if this is a good way to check, but I just looked at my Import screen and it has those settings already selected. Is there something else that I could check?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 31, 2011 - 4:23am

Iain,

Look at the badges on the thumbnail. If you see a J or an R, it’s a pair. If not, then it’s not [screenshot].

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
May 31, 2011 - 4:51am

Sure enough no J or R. More worrisome to me is that there’s no J or R on any of my pictures and I had been importing them with a master, just usually the JPEG. I’ll need to experiment further and see what’s going on. Thanks.

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
May 31, 2011 - 5:18am

So, is DNG not considered RAW? I use CHDK which is a bit of a tweak to Canon’s Powershot models to enable certain features that aren’t available. I could set the files to be CRWs, but then Aperture doesn’t import them, I’m guessing, because Canon doesn’t have a RAW profile for them.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 31, 2011 - 5:39am

Iain,

DNG is an odd duck. It is RAW, but it’s not a format as much as it’s a container. So while Aperture reads DNG just fine, the RAW conversion you get is a generic one, not one customized for your camera. Check out the RAW Fine Tuning you have for a DNG file, if any at all. I don’t think you’ll see anything like what I’m seeing in this screenshot from a Canon 1Ds Mk III RAW file [screenshot].

I don’t know if the powershot CRW format is supported by Aperture; you can look it up or just try it and see.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
May 31, 2011 - 6:32am

I actually get most of the options you show for DNGs, just unable to do any de-noise (http://goo.gl/BWEjR). My specific camera didn’t come with the option to output RAWs, but I know Canons that were given that feature at the factory work fine in Aperture. I’m hoping to pick up a Panasonic G3 later this year to put an end to my DNGs. Thanks for your help.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 31, 2011 - 6:42am

Iain,

So you’re converting what to a DNG; a JPEG file? If so, you’re not gaining anything in that workflow.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
May 31, 2011 - 6:49am

CHDK makes a CRW file, and in camera converts it to a DNG. I can tell CHDK to leave the file as a CRW but Aperture doesn’t know what to do with it (or Adobe Camera Raw) because there is no profile for it.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 31, 2011 - 6:51am

Iain,

Oh right, you said that, sorry. Well, that’s a good interim solution then. Sorry that the RAW+JPEG thing isn’t working as expected :(

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness