You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sort of Albums & Projects on iPhone a mess #1
Gert Coester's picture
by Gert Coester
January 5, 2012 - 3:25am

I do synchronize only parts of my aperture library!
What I get on my iPhone is a mess concerning the sort: it's not alphabetical, not historical, not the sort like in aperture; I have no idea, what rule is behind!?
Is that a known issue ?
Cheers
Gert

GC

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
January 5, 2012 - 4:38am

I do not have any issues with synchronising my library, I sync up to my iPad and they are all in order of date.

I create a smart project in aperture which I then go in to iTunes and select to sync to the iPad. I can then go to albums on the iPad and they are all there.

Are all your photos in date order in aperture?

Gert Coester's picture
by Gert Coester
January 5, 2012 - 5:37am

… I have to be more precise about my post: I’m talking about the sort of the albums and projects in the overview, NOT about the sort of the pictures within them !

GC

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 5, 2012 - 5:55am

Gert (and Chris),

What you’re describing is quite common. Actually I’m surprised to hear that Chris sees his in chronological order! :)

I actually gave up on syncing directly from Aperture ages and ages ago. I export photos to a folder that’s synchronized by dropbox to sync across multiple computers, and that folder is also synced to my iDevices. The folder name is simple; for example my latest one is “1201 Bears” which is 12 for the year, 01 for the month, and a short name that I can read on my iPhone, and in that case, all folders are synced alphabetically, and therefore chronologically.

I wrote about this a while ago when certain bugs were really causing sync issues, here: “Current Aperture/iLife Sharing Nightmares, and How to Avoid It Entirely”

Granted I haven’t synced directly in years so it’s entirely possible that recent updates have fixed the order issues, but since you’re seeing them, assuming you’re up to date, I’m guessing not. However since Chris is having good luck, maybe you both can outline very specifically what you’re doing; what you’re syncing, the setup in iTunes, etc. so we can all learn a bit more?

cheers

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 5, 2012 - 8:08am

Gert sent an excel spreadsheet showing the order of things in Aperture vs alpha vs date vs how it’s actually showing up on the iPhone. Here’s a [screenshot].

Curious indeed (but again, AFAIK, totally normal!)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Gert Coester's picture
by Gert Coester
January 6, 2012 - 1:41am

I called Apple Care Support today and they told me to come back with a hopefully satisfying answer asap.
As soon as I get it, I will post it here …

GC

Gert Coester's picture
by Gert Coester
March 24, 2012 - 2:42am

gfsymon,

Thanks a lot - I’m 99% happy now :-)

1%: it happened, that disorder came along again; but after manually correcting it, it seems to work now!

Cheers
Gert

GC

Gert Coester's picture
by Gert Coester
March 18, 2012 - 2:00am

… and here it is: it took a long time to find somebody how cares (they first sent me from the aperture hotline to the iphone guys, then back and forth and finally I found the one who listened!). That guy could see the problems described on his devices, which was already a “success” … but unfortunately there is no solution at the moment, only a work around:
1. deactivate foto sync in iTunes
2. stop iTunes
3. start Aperture
4. change library (any existing one or a empty one)
5. change back to your library
6. start iTunes and reactivate sync
I tried, but it doesn’t work …
So the problem is now reported to higher levels / instances (but they should know already).
To make the story short: it doesn’t work and there is no solution at the horizon; but at least it’s official :-)

GC

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
March 18, 2012 - 5:29pm

Gert,

sadly Apple Care Support aren’t always that clued up on obscure problems.

This is what you need to do :

1/ Disable syncing in iTunes and then sync your iPhone. You now have no images at all on your iPhone.

2/ Open Aperture and make a new project called iPhone.

3/ Create a new Album in this project, for each Album you want on your iPhone. Here’s the important bit … make them in the order you want them to appear on your Phone.

4/ Drag the images you want on your iPhone (from other projects) into the relevant Albums.

5/ Quit Aperture to make sure it’s not doing anything in the background.

6/ Open iTunes and in the Photos tab, select manual sync and then select the checkboxes of the Albums you’ve just created.

7/ Sync your iPhone.

8/ Be happy.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness