You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Smarter Smart Albums #1
David Edge's picture
by David Edge
November 12, 2010 - 9:53pm

In iTunes I can make a smart playlist use another smart playlist as it's source - but not as far as I can tell in Aperture. I'd like to make a smart album that has all the best photo of a family - so I need the criteria to be >=**** AND (Bob OR Carol OR Ted OR Alice). But I can't work out how to mix ANDs and ORs (or ALLs and ANYs)

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 13, 2010 - 2:01am

David,

I believe you’re correct, that you can’t use a Smart Album as a source inside another Smart Album. You can used regular Albums though, by setting the criteria Aperture Metadata > Album Name. But that doesn’t help you.

However your needs are simple enough that you don’t need to combine Smart Albums. Add a Keyword search and set it to Include any of the following, and enable all the family names. Then set the global criteria to All of the following that match, and add in the 5-star rating. That will add up to “5 star AND keywords (Bob OR Carol OR… etc)”

Does that give you what you’re looking for?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
November 13, 2010 - 8:59pm

Joseph

That’s a very helpful principle - using keywords to allow a combination of AND and OR criteria. However I am trying to work with faces, so I would still need to create a smart album with the faces of this family’s members in and manually keyword them, repeating whenever I added photos. So not quite for this requirement.

So, having fret about it for months and become fixated on the ‘base a smart album on a smart album’ solution, your reply prompted me to try some other things. Faces allows a full name as well as the name displayed. So I changed Bob Smith’s full name to Bob Smith-Jones and Carol Jones to Carol Smith-Jones and then made the smart album select **** AND Name includes Smith-Jones.

Thanks

d.

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 13, 2010 - 9:45pm

David,

Ahh… didn’t realize it was Faces.

You already found a solution, but here’s another one. Create your Smart Album to find the Faces you want using ANY (or), then filter to 5-stars using the search HUD inside of the Smart Album. That should be sticky as you go in and out of the Album, but even if not, a simple Control-5 will filter to the 5-star images in a heartbeat.

Either way, problem solved!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
November 15, 2010 - 9:54pm

Thanks Joseph

The HUD is sticky unlike Ctrl-5 so that’s the best solution as I usually share my photos via iPad or iPod.

cheers!

d.

d.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness