You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Smart Album Issue #1
Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
April 17, 2012 - 11:08pm

I've set up several smart albums that pull the EXIF data for each of my different lenses. I had not checked them for some time and did so today. i noticed that none of my newer photos from this year are in the albums. The SA settings are basically (top line): ” All” of the following “match” and the only category picked is EXIF: “Lens” “is” and I type in the lens as it appears in the metadata info. For some reason I had not put a space between EF and the lens size, e.g.. EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM. So I thought that was the problem. But when I put a space between those, all of the previous pictures disappear. Remove the space they come back. But again, there are no new pictures added from what I took this year or the end of 2011. I had added a new macro lens late last year and the first few picture I took with it were in the album but none of the newer ones I took since. When I did the add space then delete space between the EF and 100mm I lost all of the previous pictures! So I am puzzled by why the newer pictures are not being added. I did not include the word Canon in any of the the lens info typed into the info section but I do not think I need to do that. Any ideas? Thanks.

florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 18, 2012 - 2:24pm

Florian,

Awesome! So did you figure out what the difference was between the metadata in images?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Florian Cortese
April 18, 2012 - 11:07pm

Joseph-
Yes, I think I did. At least in part. It appears that on the original pictures that were showing up the Metadata was recording the lens as “EF24-105…” but on the newer ones “EF 24-105…” The space between the EF and 24 made a difference since I selected “is” rather than “includes.” By just using the lens length, e.g. 24-105mm and the f stop info I was able to pull in all of the pictures from that particular lens. I am not sure why Aperture changed how it was reading and recording the lens EXIF data. Maybe it is a glitch in one of the recent updates to Aperture??? Now this did not work for all of the lenses. My 100mm macro had no such apparent EXIF data change. Regardless, by simplifying what info that was to be included solved the problem. :)

florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 18, 2012 - 1:26am

Florian,

Check the metadata reading in old vs. new pictures. Chance are there’s a difference in how it’s being recorded. I have several lenses that I’ve had for years, and as the bodies change, the way the lens is recorded into the EXIF changed. And even if it’s always been the same body, I believe that changes in Aperture at some point made some differences in recording this info, too.

As far as including “Canon” or not, you’ll want the text to be identical to what’s in the EXIF field if you’re using “is” as your qualifier. You could switch that to “contains” and then enter some unique data to that lens (i.e. “24-105”) that would pick up different ways of writing the lens name but still contain what’s needed to single it out from other lenses in your collection.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Florian Cortese
April 18, 2012 - 2:36am

Joseph- Thanks, I’ll give it a try when I get home. I do have a new body, but I only got it a month ago so that should not account for all of the missing photos, I’ll definitely do the “is to contains” switch first. I think I’ll also create a new smart folder with the changed info first and see what happens. I’ll give feedback when I’m done. Cheers.

florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

by Florian Cortese
April 18, 2012 - 11:04am

Joseph- Here’s the follow-up: it worked! I did as you said and everything is working just fine. thanks for the prompt response and great help. This site rocks and is such a huge wealth of information and assistance!

florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?