You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Slide show disaster! #1
Peter Paton's picture
by Peter Paton
July 9, 2012 - 8:01pm

Hi all, fairly new to Aperture but finding my way gradually! I made up a slide show of a wedding I shot last weekend, all nicely put together with sound track etc.

When I switched on Aperture today, I got a message to the effect that my data base needed restoring, good idea I thought so gave it the go ahead. Now all the slide show pics are in a different order than I set them!

I can manually reset them all given a bit of time, but is there a way I can save the slide show within Aperture that will keep it as I created it given another similar database issue?

Thanks in advance,

Peter.

PS - it gets worse! The album layout has suffered the same fate! If this is the best Aperture can do I will need to go back to a more stable software!

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 11, 2012 - 3:15pm

Hmm. That’s an odd issue, and not something that should ever happen through library rebuilds / restores / etc.

For the album problem, I’m not quite sure what you’re asking - are you talking about a photo book, or just an Aperture album of images? If it’s just an album that you sorted manually, you should be able to click the dropdown menu at the top let and select the last option for “Manual”. If it’s a photo book that has actually seemed to have lost it’s images, I’m not sure if there’s an easy way to restore it unfortunately. Using the Aperture Vault will backup your files, and if you want a simple option, saving as a PDF after major edits is also a good idea. However, generally, there should be no problems with things like books and albums losing images.

Peter Paton's picture
by Peter Paton
July 12, 2012 - 8:52pm

Hi Michael, yes I had a photo book pretty much completed when the error message appeared. I was surprised that the slide show reappeared but the photobook went back to the theme stage, all images and layouts were deleted.

I was not aware of the .pdf save option until reading other posts but will bear it in mind.

Peter.

Peter Paton's picture
by Peter Paton
July 9, 2012 - 8:43pm

OK, update - restarted the mac and the slide show is back where it was - but the album is just the blank theme I started with, although all the images are in the filmstrip below.

This is a big issue - much more work went into the album than the slide show, now I need to start the whole job again.

rmully's picture
by rmully
July 9, 2012 - 10:52pm

It still may be there somewhere …download “Easy Find” it does a better job than spotlight The restore could have written a new file. Use Time Machine or SuperDuper for back ups I learned the hard way when 5 web sites that I maintain lost 1/2 of their files doe to a crash …never again as I use 2 backups. Best of luck, maybe some will chime in that knows a clever trick …don’t give up hope….sometimes hope is all we have to work for awhile

Peter Paton's picture
by Peter Paton
July 9, 2012 - 11:25pm

Thanks Robert, I think the issue is within Aperture itself. I use time machine for backups, but the problem is that all the files are still there, it is just the layout that has been wiped.

I have started again but using separate software for the album design, hopefully it will be a bit less susceptible to data base issues.

Peter.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness