You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Show in Project - Nice feature, but wish it worked in an upper level folder! #1
ksignorini's picture
by ksignorini
June 4, 2011 - 10:03am

Let me start by saying that I'm sure liking Aperture.

When I'm in Photos view, I can right-click on an image and get the option to “Show in Project” which takes me to the project the photo is part of. This is awesome, but is similar to the “Go to Folder in Library” feature in Lightroom (something I am very used to doing in Lightroom regularly–also makes the transition from Lightroom just that much easier).

However, if I am working in a Folder that has multiple projects in it, say in Browser mode and looking at all of photos that comprise those projects in one view, right-clicking on an image does not give me the “Show in Project” option. This sucks. Big time.

Let me tell you why.

While moving my library of images over from Lightroom to Aperture today, I was scanning through a folder that held all my 2008 images. All of them. I came across a handful of images that I knew belonged to a certain event and that event did NOT belong in my personal images (it was work related). So I wanted to move that whole project (which I knew was named by date…and only had those images in it) to my Work folder. Well, darn if I could find that project!!! In LR I would have right-clicked one of those images that I saw when looking at the high-level view and chose to find it in the library. When I went to do that in Aperture the option wasn't there. Aperture is treating the folder that contains the projects as the project itself.

I even tested this by mapping a keystroke to the Show in Project option. Same no-go.

So, am I doing something wrong? Or is this a limitation of what is, otherwise, really fantastic organizational software?

Thanks!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 4, 2011 - 1:16pm

ksignorini,

Curious observation… it must be a bug. I’ll be sure to report it.

You can still identify the location though by tapping the “t” key to toggle on Tooltips, and from there there should be an item Project Path [screenshot]. If you don’t see that (I may have customized mine; hard to know anymore what’s default and what isn’t!), you can Edit… the metadata views [screenshot] and then choose Metadata Tooltips [screenshot] and then look under the Aperture list, and enable Project Path [screenshot].

You’ll still have to manually open it, but at least you’ll know where it is.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

ksignorini's picture
by ksignorini
June 7, 2011 - 12:53pm

Excellent answer, Joseph. I’ll give that go!

Thanks!

ksignorini's picture
by ksignorini
June 7, 2011 - 12:56pm

Sure enough, the Project Path is not in the default Tooltip. I’ve added it and it works great.

Thanks again!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness