You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Scanned images #1
Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
November 7, 2011 - 4:20am

Any ideas why I can't find a scanned image that is located in Aperture. Here's what's happening:
Scanned an old photo into Aperture.
Retouched it
renamed it, placed in a project.

Now I want attach image to an email within facebook or other email.
Type message
Add attachment, choose file, enter version name.
No file found.

Is it to do with the image been scanned or something else?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 7, 2011 - 8:21am

Paul,

I’m going to assume that you have a referenced library so your scanned image (master) is not inside the Aperture library file. (If this is wrong, please provide some more details)

When you create a new version with a referenced library, Aperture doesn’t create a new file in the referenced folder nor does it alter the master file. So when you said you changed the name of the version, this new name won’t exist outside of the Aperture library file. The master file and it’s name are not altered by Aperture when you rename a version.

If you want to access this version using an open dialog box you need to use the Photos item under the Media section in the Open dialog box sidebar. I don’t believe the search function in an open dialog will look inside the Aperture library file. (Update: Search in an Open dialog box does look in the Aperture library if you select the Photos item in the sidebar first)

Click the Photo item in the Open dialog box sidebar and you’ll see Aperture appear and you can go through the library to see all your versions.

If I’m interpreting your question wrong let us know and we’ll try to find an answer.

Tom

Thomas

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
November 7, 2011 - 5:27pm

Hi Tom

Thanks for your help.
I’m still a bit of a novice on aperture, so forgive me if I get some things wrong here when explaining what’s happening.

I am sure that it’s a managed file, their is no yellow badge on the image.
When the image was scanned it was given a file number that was totally forgettable so I named it to it’s relevance. I couldn’t scan it straight into aperture though so I put it onto the desktop then imported it from there placing it into a project.

After composing a message in Facebook I tried to attach the photo. This was done by going to the open dialogue box, selected photos, selected aperture library and also selected the project where the image is located. In the search box I added the version name. click search but not there. I also entered the file number that is allocated to the image but to no avail. The same happens when i use the HTML uploader on Zenfloio.

Paul.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 8, 2011 - 3:59am

Paul,

It sounds like you’re doing everything right, but that the “share previews” database isn’t updating properly.

When you’re at this point in the Open dialog box where you’re looking at your actual project, can you locate the image just be scrolling for it? In other words — are you positive it’s actually there? If you don’t see it in this Open dialog, go back to Aperture and ensure you’re looking in the right place. If you do see it in Aperture but not in the Open Dialog, then the “share previews” database isn’t updating.

Open the Aperture Preferences, and ensure your preferences are set to share “always” [screenshot].

If it is, try quitting Aperture and relaunching it, and see if that clears things up.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
November 8, 2011 - 4:51am

Joseph
I’ve checked my preferences and are set to “always” I have already tried quitting and restarting. Still not showing.

I did scroll through the project in the open dialogue but the image wasn’t there. It is where I left it in Aperture.

At present it’s not a major issue but I’m planning a family project and will be scanning quite a few old photos to make a photo book. I’m thinking it may be easier to export them from aperture rather than sending them to a folder on the desktop and then sending them to the photo book software/site.

Paul.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 8, 2011 - 6:22am

Paul,

It sounds like the database just isn’t updating properly. Sadly this has been an intermittent issue plaguing many users. The easiest workaround, especially for what you’re doing, is to simply drag the photos out of Aperture to the desktop and then load those from Facebook or wherever. Once you’re done you can delete the files you dragged out. (All that’s being dragged out is a copy of the Preview jpg).

Come to think of it… if you find that you can’t drag photos to the desktop, then the entire problem may simply be that your previews aren’t being updated. Check that your project is set to auto-update; select the Project in the Library tab, and from the gear menu, choose Maintain previews for project [screenshot].

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
November 8, 2011 - 7:23am

Joseph, you are truly “The aperture expert” Problem solved by “maintain Previews” tip. The image is now appearing in the open dialogue field. Hoorah!!

Have a good day my friend.

Paul.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 8, 2011 - 8:09am

Paul,

Superb :) Glad to hear it!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
November 24, 2011 - 5:26pm

Joseph,

The same problem has reared it’s ugly head again. I imported about 100 images into one of my projects. Added some keywords, a few images had alterations applied. I wanted to upload one to flickr so I went through the process that I explained earlier in this thread.
None of the new images appear to be in the library.

I have checked the settings in preferences as you explained previously. All good on that point. I tried to search for an image that had its usual version number, ie DSC_0463, still couldn’t see the image that I wanted. However another image appeared that I took earlier this year. Of course I had deleted all the old images that were on my cameras memory card. Have I messed up there somewhere by not doing something with the file numbers on the memory card, and this is why aperture is not updating its own library? Is there a fix?

Paul

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 24, 2011 - 7:51pm

Paul,

Remember, last time the trick was to check that your project is set to auto-update; select the Project in the Library tab, and from the gear menu, choose Maintain previews for project [screenshot].

Is that set to Maintain?

Identical file names make no difference to Aperture.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness