You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Retrospectively add date info to filename? #1
Gavin Hall's picture
by Gavin Hall
November 16, 2010 - 2:54am

Hello chaps

I have taken to renaming my photos on import so that the filename includes date info, as suggested in “15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3.”

What I would like is a quick and easy way to retrospectively do this to files I have already imported. I am using the format YYYY_MM_DD_Camera Native Filename

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Gavin

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 16, 2010 - 11:53pm

Gavin,

Sure thing—there’s a Batch Change command under the Metadata menu. From there you can change the Version name, as well as apply that to the Masters if you wish, to as many files as you want at once (select the files, invoke the command).

Some advice gleaned from making my own mistakes in here… before you go and rename your entire Library this way, test it on a few images to be sure they’re changing the way you expect/intend. Also, you may want to go as far as writing the original file names down on your test files so you can revert to that if you need to. When you try to get clever including naming conventions that include existing data, it’s easy to get one thing wrong in your preset and suddenly end up with names that have repeats in them.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Gavin Hall's picture
by Gavin Hall
November 24, 2010 - 5:12am

Joseph, many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?