You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Restoring Deleted Photos #1
Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
June 26, 2011 - 7:43am

By mistake, I deleted 2 images from a project, and they are not in Aperture Trash. They are also not in Finder Trash. Aperture Trash has “274” next to it, but no photos are visible. Is there a way to find these photos I have not mentioned? Is it possible to restore them from my Vault without restoring the whole library?

Thanks -

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 26, 2011 - 11:36am

Dudley,

If the Aperture trash is reporting 274 items, the photo is certainly in there. Once you delete something in Aperture, it goes to the Aperture trash, and once you empty the Aperture trash, it goes to the Finder trash, and only once you empty the Finder trash is it deleted. There’s a detailed post on the topic here: Emptying the Trash in Aperture 3—What Really Happens?.

Here’s a detailed and annotated screenshot for you; perhaps the problem is that you have filtered what’s shown in the trash, and it’s not “showing all”? [screenshot]

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
June 26, 2011 - 10:21pm

Joseph -

Thanks for the reply. The info. you provided was helpful. Filtering does not seem to be the reason that I could not view photos in Aperture Trash. I dumped Aperture Trash, and was then able to view the photos and restore them from the Finder Trash. When I delete any additional photos, it only shows the number next to Aperture Trash, but I can not see the folders or the images. I will also try rebuilding the data base.

Dudley

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 27, 2011 - 5:13am

Dudley,

OK yes, your next step is to Repair the database. Rebuild is pretty drastic so I’d only do that if Repair doesn’t work.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
June 27, 2011 - 5:22am

Joseph -

I did a repair, repair permissions, and rebuild, but the problem is still there. I created a new Aperture library, and the Trash on that works fine. I am not sure whether to just keep using the workaround of getting deleted images back from the Finder Trash, or if I should do anything else to repair this library.

Dudley

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 28, 2011 - 12:17pm

Dudley,

The last “repair” that’s easy to do is to import the entire Library into another new, clean Library. You’ll need a lot of free disk space to do this—if memory serves, you’ll need 2x as much space as is the size of the existing library.

Create a brand new Library, then simply File > Import > Library/Project… and point at the old Library.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
June 30, 2011 - 6:57am

Thanks Joseph. I hope this takes care of the problem.

Dudley

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?