You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Resizing Aperture photo books #1
Cliff Connell's picture
by Cliff Connell
November 14, 2011 - 7:03am

Hi all and please excuse my newbyness,

I have spent a long time creating a photo book in Aperture 3.2.1 and ordered the XL hardcover version. I would like to order more of the same book yet in the large hardcover size (next size down). I duplicated the original and changed the size when setting it up but as you probably know it re-organizes all the images thus destroying all the original work. Does anybody know of a way to make a smaller version of the book and not have to re-do all the original image placements and edits etc?

Cliff Connell's picture
by Cliff Connell
December 5, 2011 - 8:45am

Hey Sarah, I finally got around to trying your method. It worked a treat and saved me about 5 hours re-doing the whole book. Thanks a bunch :-)

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
December 7, 2011 - 1:49pm

Glad to be of help Cliff.

I think it’s a good tip as this method works also then for doing Blurb books should you wish to ever sell them. I find Aperture’s book programme much easier to work with then Blurb’s Booksmart.

Globetrotter's picture
by Globetrotter
November 25, 2015 - 10:54am

Hi Sarah, apologies I cannot find your answer to Cliffs question in the thread, which he says was helpful for him - please can you advise the following:

I have created an XL book in Aperture, and saved it to a PDF file for import into Blurb. However Blurbs XL books are slightly larger. How can I automatically adjust the size on the PDF file I created from Aperture, without having to do much manual adjustments (it took forever to create the photobook in Aperture as its a very large one of 202 pages!)

Thanks very much.

Peter Mork's picture
by Peter Mork
December 11, 2011 - 5:18pm

Hi there,
I thought I’d post a related question. I’m about to try to make my first book. However I shoot everything in RAW. Do I have to save the images to JPEG before I choose what pictures should be included?
I’ve got “Work like a pro…” and it isn’t mentioned there, nor can I find any info in the Aperture 3 book.

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
November 15, 2011 - 2:32am

I don’t know if this is an option for you, but you could print the book to pdf selecting the option Save PDF to Aperture. This should give you a dialogue box asking where you would like to save them and whether you want to save as JPG, TIFF or PDF. Make your choice and then hit import.

You will then have saved each page from the original book as a new image. You could then select those images to create your new book in the new size. You may have to do some small adjustments but it’s much faster than starting from scratch.

I haven’t figured out any other way to do it so will also be interested to hear other suggestions.

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
November 15, 2011 - 3:55am

I have been creating books for a while now and have to find away to do it with the images staying in their present location.

Tom Carroll's picture
by Tom Carroll
November 27, 2011 - 12:41pm

MyPublisher allows users to select any of four book sizes after book is made. All books are same proportion and works pretty well. But not an Apple book.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 18, 2011 - 2:43am

Peter,

For a slightly longer answer… the reason you don’t have to create a JPG is that Aperture always works with the original file (RAW, TIF, JPG, whatever you feed it) all the way through the process. While editing a book, if you decide you want to adjust the photo, you can double-click it and continue to edit the original, whereas if you had dropped in a JPG, you’d have to locate the original, edit it, export a new JPG, replace the other in the book, etc. Boring. This way you always have access to the original. Then when Aperture exports the book in a final form to send to the printer, it creates the appropriate files for you. Seamless.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
December 11, 2011 - 5:54pm

Hi Peter,

I work in raw as well and I do a fair amount of book ordering from apple.

The simple answer is no you do not need to convert them to jpeg.

Create a book project and then drag your images in to that project… Or highlight the images you want in the book and then select new book and the images will be automatically added to the book project.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Peter Mork's picture
by Peter Mork
December 11, 2011 - 6:08pm

Thanks for the swift reply Chris. It was the answer I hoped for :-)

Peter

Globetrotter's picture
by Globetrotter
November 25, 2015 - 10:55am

Hi Sarah, please can someone advise the following:

I have created an XL book in Aperture, and saved it to a PDF file for import into Blurb. However Blurbs XL books are slightly larger. How can I automatically adjust the size on the PDF file I created from Aperture, without having to do much manual adjustments (it took forever to create the photobook in Aperture as its a very large one of 202 pages!)

Thanks very much.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?