You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
resize image for printing at 360ppi #1
stump4545's picture
by stump4545
November 29, 2012 - 3:29am

i would like to send my epson printer images from aperture at 360ppi.

in a lot of my images, that means downsampling and throwing away a lot of pixels.

should i try to do that in aperture (if i can) or let the epson driver just throw away the pixels for me?

thanks

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
November 29, 2012 - 12:29pm

can you resize in aperture? (dont think so)

should i let my printer driver throw away pixels for me or should i ideally downsize before i send to printer driver?

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
November 30, 2012 - 12:04am

No, you shouldn’t need to resize. You are not actually “throwing away” anything. The print driver will use all the image data available to feed the printer what it needs. The time, effort and disk space used would be of no benefit to you, or the resulting print.

There was a time when imaging software did a much better job of this than the default print drivers. Today, the printer makers are doing a much better job at this than in the past. In my estimation from trial and error over the years, you would not see any improvement in finished print quality by downsizing the image files for printing.

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
November 30, 2012 - 3:33am

does it pay to up sample images to achieve 300ppi in large prints or let my print driver handle this?

and my main question can aperture 3 down/up sample images?

thanks for all the help.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
November 30, 2012 - 4:49am

The only way that I know of that Aperture can do that is to Export a version at your specified pixel dimension for the target pip … then you would end up with an extra copy at each and every size you wish to print.

With most current DSLR image files, 12MP+ I don’t usually worry about resampling unless I am going really big … larger than 16x20 … or if i have cropped the image extensively … in that case I normally do the re-sample in Photoshop because I will likely also want to add some creative sharpening along with the increasing the overall file size.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
November 30, 2012 - 5:47am

Stump.

You need to read up on this. Butch and I have answered your questions, but you’re not understanding the answers.

The really short answer is :

Just let the print driver handle everything, because nothing you do will be any better.

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
November 30, 2012 - 9:16am

thank you for the answers.

i have read up on this topic and from what i read it mostly says to send the printer what it likes naively. most printers 300dpi and epson 360dpi.

but in practice it seems that most dont really abide by this which is good to know.

thanks for all the advice.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
November 29, 2012 - 3:47am

I find just letting the print driver take care of any scaling to be the most effective method … even when it comes to slight enlargement … really no need to go to the extra effort to create derivative files for printing.

Additionally, I set the Print Resolution option to “Auto” … you may also want to experiment with the print sharpening settings to season to taste. Overall, I’ve had no issues achieving the print quality I seek.

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
November 29, 2012 - 4:49am

i think i will do the same, but is re sizing an image up or down even possible in aperture?

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
November 29, 2012 - 6:07am

DPI is an old fashioned idea. It dates back to print, plates, halftone etc. Or … it relates to monitor resolution (pixels per inch) which has nothing to do with prints either.

As far as a digital printer is concerned, there are only pixels. Either you have enough, too many, or too few.

When you send your file to a printer it will scale the image to fit. Up or down. DPI is totally ignored.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?