You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Relocate entire Library from 1 external HD to another #1
Jon Kirshner's picture
by Jon Kirshner
October 11, 2012 - 9:15am

I currently have 200 GB of master photos on an external drive. My Aperture library is 100% referenced files. I have multiple Projects, each with folders and subfolders (albums). Is there a simple way to completely relocate the entire Master “Library” from one external drive to another; however maintaining the existing folder/file structure? Aperture 3.4.1
Thank you.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 16, 2012 - 3:57am

Super, my pleasure :)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 12, 2012 - 2:07am

Jon,

A Finder copy is all you have to do. The structure of the Projects, Albums, and Folders are maintained inside the Aperture Library. The Originals, which you have stored as Referenced (and it sounds like on the same drive? That wasn’t clear to me) can just as easily be copied anywhere.

If Aperture loses track of the Originals after the move, you’ll need to reconnect them using the Locate Originals command, but as long as you don’t alter the file structure of the Originals (meaning you don’t rearrange the folders in the Finder, just copy them), all photos should reconnect at once.

@PhotoJoseph

Jon Kirshner's picture
by Jon Kirshner
October 12, 2012 - 3:30am

Joseph,
Thanks for your fast response. I plan to sign up and ‘contribute’ to your site as I am finding it to be beneficial. Similar to what I found with Nikonians.org.
Maybe I was unclear.
My aperture library is stored on my laptop (33GB). It is structured with projects/folders/albums and or sub folders. I have only recently changed my import strategy to incorporating key words or text and then setting up smart albums instead of ‘permanent’ folders. All of my originals are stored on an external drive. The file structure basically mimics my Aperture Library. I thought that this would be a good idea in the event that my Aperture Library somehow becomes corrupt or I lose every possible back up of the library. This would still allow me to locate events.
My external drive is only net 200GB for my originals. I want to move these over to a 1TB or 2TB external drive; and keep the links active from Aperture to the original files and their (new location).
I first tried naming the new drive the same as the original, and creating the root folder that matched the original. I then copied one trial project/folder to the new drive; disconnected the original drive; and then picked a picture from the Aperture directory and ‘show in finder’. This did not work.
Of course, if I highlighted all the files in the trial folder, and then locate referenced files; I could re-link them that way. Or, if I highlighted all the files in the Aperture folder and then ‘relocated originals; this would work as well. However, this would be really tedious in either case.
So, I clicked on all “Projects” under Library in Aperture; and see two options: Relocate originals for Library or Consolidate….
It appears that under Relocate…. there is no option to also move the file/folder/album hierarchy. Am I wrong? I just don’t want to do something that will be intractable.
I hope that this is not to drawn out.
Thanks.
Jon

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 12, 2012 - 4:22am

Jon,

OK, understood. I think you’re overcomplicating it — it’s actually quite simple to do. First quit Aperture.

Copy (in the Finder) the folder full of Originals from one drive to the other, which will also keep your folder structure.

Next you need to point Aperture to the new location. First disconnect the original drive (that’ll make it easier to see if everything reconnects properly), then launch Aperture. It’ll show all your images are offline.

Go to the Photos view, as this is the one place were you can see ALL of your images at once. Be sure you are showing ALL, and not “unrated or better” or any other filter.

Select all, and go File > Locate Referenced Files…. This will bring up the referenced files tool, and you can select any one photo at the top half of the window, and in the bottom half (if there is no bottom half, click “Show Reconnect Options”), locate the matching file. Then click Reconnect All, and everything should reconnect in one go.

Make sense?

@PhotoJoseph

Jon Kirshner's picture
by Jon Kirshner
October 12, 2012 - 8:44pm

Joseph, you are a genius! I actually did not need to “locate referenced files”, as my Aperture Library immediately pointed to the files in the new drive.
I now have an active 1TB external drive for all masters; a 1TB Time Machine Back Up; and a 190 GB archived drive for all masters to 10/11/12. I think that I can now sleep.
BTW, I just purchased 2- 1TB Seagate 3.0 drives (upgrade to Thunderbolt when I upgrade my laptop).
Thanks again for all of your help.
Jon

katy's picture
by katy
May 29, 2013 - 10:26pm

Jon,

Hi, I found this thread and have a question. I am about to do the same thing and am nervous. I want to move my entire referenced library from 1 EHD to another EHD. When copying all the files over in finder, did you also Copt the file called aperture library?

My concern is ensuring all of my metadata, keyword, tags etc don’t get lost in the process of moving everything. Many thanks

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?