You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Printing picutres #1
Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
October 5, 2010 - 9:27am

I am trying to use an online printing site (in this case, www.mpix.com). a friend who uses PS uses them. anyway, I wanted to try them and print a 20x30 photo and I keep getting that the max size I can print is 12x18. How can I increase the picture size to accommodate a 20x30? Are there any other online sites that work and play well with Aperture?

UPDATED: I shot in L JPG mode and the dimensions in Aperture show it to be 2376x1584. For the picture to be turned into a 20x30 it needs to be 2000x3000. How can I do that in Aperture. I tired looking in the Apple's Aperture 3 User manual and your 15 Tips. Is there a way to increase the resolution through Aperture, I guess is the main question?  thanks.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 22, 2010 - 2:39am

Florian,

Fantastic! One final bit of advice for you… no need to go as high as 12 on the quality. I spoke with a very experienced printer who assured me that Q12 was just marketing hype and really you can’t see the difference from Q10—it’s virtually imperceptible. If you want to compare and have Photoshop, export the same image at the same size using both 10 and 12, stack them in Photoshop, and apply a Difference blend mode. See if you can see anything… that’s the difference between the two. If you want to push that to an extreme, then flatten those two layers and run auto-levels a couple of times. That’ll force any differences to super bright, and you can see where the differences were—but keeping in mind that you probably couldn’t see them to begin with.

Q10 is a significantly smaller file than Q12, in my experience.

cheers,
-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 5, 2010 - 6:59pm

Florian,

Thanks for the extra info—that helps.

MPIX is limiting the size you can print based off the actual resolution—any quality print service will do that, to keep you from ordering a print that won’t turn out well. If they are requiring a 20x30 inch photo to be 2000x3000 pixels, that’s 100dpi (dots per inch, also displayed as PPI, or “pixels per inch”), which is actually quite low. Best quality prints are typically at 133dpi or higher, up to 300dpi.

You said your original files are 1584x2376, which is only 3.7 Megapixels. That’s a VERY low resolution file to be printing at 20x30 inches. As a point of reference, the iPhone 3GS shoots at 3.1 Megapixels, or 1536x2048. If you printed your image at 20x30, it will print at 79dpi, which again is very very low. I can promise you that you will not he happy with the quality of the print you get.

Technically it is possible to increase resolution, but you’re not adding data of course—you’re just making up pixels that didn’t originally exist, and the quality will not be great.

My recommendation is to print at a smaller size. MPIX is saying 12x18 is the max, which is 132dpi, and will give you a good quality print. I’d follow their advice and only print at that size.

If you’re determined to get a 20x30 inch print, regardless of the quality, you can increase resolution in Aperture by building an Export Preset that will output the exact size you desire. Go to the menu Aperture > Presets > Image Export…, create a new preset with the + button at the bottom right, and set it up to your specifications. You can do it by pixels, or even inches or cm and resolution; so 20x30 and 100dpi.

You also asked about other printing services. Did you know that there’s a print service built in to Aperture? Just select your image(s) and choose File > Order Prints…. This will connect you to Apple’s print services company and allow you to order prints directly from within Aperture. This service is available in most countries, I believe. It will also, however, limit the size of what you can order, based off of resolution.

cheers,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by Florian Cortese
October 5, 2010 - 10:00pm

Thanks Joseph. Just out of curiosity (and probably a whole lot of ignorance), how do I increase the original dimensions of the photo. Can it be done before the shot it taken? When I looked at the picture I sent, in Aperture under Metadata it said the picture was “Pixel size: 4752 × 3168 (15.1 MP).” Yet when I right clicked and went into “Get Info” I get the 1536x2048 dimensions. Am I losing pixels by copying the photo to my desktop before sending it along to Mpix? Finally, I am aware of the photo printing capabilities of Aperture However, do they offer gallery style results like gallery wraps or standouts that are ready for mounting rather than having to go through a framing process, which can get very expensive. Thanks for the help.
florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 6, 2010 - 12:09am

Florian,

How are you copying the file to your desktop? Are you just drag and dropping it? That will only give you a preview image the size of which is controlled in Aperture preferences. What you should be doing is right-click within Aperture on the photo and choose Export->Versions… and make sure to select the Full Size image from the popup menu. That should give you your full 15MP image.

Thomas

by Florian Cortese
October 6, 2010 - 7:16am

Tom- Thanks. That’s exactly what I was doing. I was dragging and dropping the picture to my desktop. I was not exporting. When exporting, the full size JPEG should be alright I am assuming and I do not need to pick some other form such as 16bit PSD. I just got home so I am going to play with it and see. But I am pretty sure you hit the nail on the head.
Flor

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

by Florian Cortese
October 6, 2010 - 7:49am

OK. So I tried exporting complete JPEG size. When I click on edit it shows it at 72dpi. When the photo is exported it’s pixel size is 1440 × 960! How is that when the metadata on the picture pre-export shows 4752x3168? Is Aperture purposely still exporting the preview and not the full picture. If I go in and edit the parameters will the picture suffer in quality? Is this a shortcoming of Aperture 3? I could go ahead and change the size to fit a 23x30 and spend some money to see how it comes out but I’d rather not waste the money if I can avoid it.The Camera I am using is a canon T1i which is 15.1 MP so it should have enough to do the job. Where in this process is it getting “dummy downed?”

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 6, 2010 - 9:24am

Florian,

The export preset you should be using is “JPEG - Original Size” which will give you an exported photo with the same pixel dimensions as the master file. The 72dpi is irrelevant to your purpose. The important measurement is the pixel dimensions. I just tried it and it works perfectly.

If you selected “Edit” in the export preset menu, did you change anything in the settings? The settings for JPEG Original Size should have the Size To: popup menu set to “Original Size”.

Thomas

by Florian Cortese
October 6, 2010 - 1:03pm

Tom- Yes. I realized what you have relayed in your most recent response by trial and error and seeing what the size of the photos are. I created two new export files one for a horizontal 30x20 and one for a vertical 20x30 and increased the image quality and dpi and it seemed to work. although I have not actually sent it in and paid for a picture yet. I am assuming that the original LJPEG size of 4752x3168 means that there should be no problem with adjusting the size of the photo and the pixel/dpi parameters. Your help and responses have been greatly appreciated.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 6, 2010 - 5:17pm

Thanks for the help Thomas!

Florian, Thomas nailed it—you’ve solved the problem. And there’s no need to send MPIX an exact size image. Just send them the “JPEG - Original Size” file and let them print from that.

And no, Aperture doesn’t print gallery wraps or anything like that. So if that’s what you’re after, then MPIX is great.

One more thing I’ll advise—be sure to zoom into your photo at 100% (tap the Z key in Aperture) and pan around the entire image looking for anything you may need to retouch, such as dust, sensor spots, stuck sensor pixels, etc. Aperture’s retouch tool (tap the X key to bring it up) is fantastic and works really well for those kinds of problems. (Check Aperture’s manual on how to use it if you’re new to it.) When printing a high resolution image at a small 4x6 print, you wouldn’t notice these problems—but when you print big at 20x30, you’re going to see every “mistake” on there. If you haven’t already done this, you’ll be surprised how many “little things” you might find on your photo.

Good luck and let us know how your print turns out!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by Florian Cortese
October 6, 2010 - 10:36pm

Joseph- thanks to both you and Thomas for helping me through this. I will definitely do the zoom and check process you have recommended. I’ll let you guys know when the pictures arrive!

florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

by Florian Cortese
October 13, 2010 - 4:16am

Joseph and Thomas- I just wanted to give you feedback. I received my pictures today and they look fabulous. Thanks to both of you I was able to work through Aperture 3 and get the results I wanted. I created two new export formats one for horizontal and one for vertical using the 2000 & 3000 pixel criteria rather than inches. I upped the Image Quality to 12 and the dpi to 133. Joseph, the Full, Zoom Retouch advice was invaluable. I found two tiny red spots on one picture and one on another and retouched them with ease. Anyway, the end result was two nice prints that will be hanging in my office. I just wanted to give you guys the feedback and the kudos for helping me and so many others out! Cheers.

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?