You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Portable Backup-what size capacity #1
Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
April 14, 2011 - 11:10pm

I am thinking about getting a portable backup drive when I am out on vacation or shooting a lot of pictures when traveling. Assuming I am shooting all of the pictures in JPEG + RAW (since that will eat up the max amount of file space) what size drive do you think I should go with? I will more than likely have my MBP with me. Using Aperture 3 I would upload them to my MBP but I would want to do a separate back up as well. So 320GB? 500GB? Higher? I am thinking of using this in the field so to speak since I have Time machine and a 500GB Western drive at home. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 1, 2011 - 8:38am

Florian,

How big are the cards you shoot to, how many do you have, and how many times do you need to clear them on an average shoot?

If you have six 8GB cards and find that you fill them up at least twice on a shoot, then that’s 6 x 8 x 2 = 96GB.

As Chris said, go for a drive that is bus powered (requires no power supply), and also be sure to get one that has multiple interfaces (USB, FW). Now that ThunderBolt is out, I won’t buy another drive unless it has it (which I realize is quite limiting at the moment).

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Florian Cortese
May 1, 2011 - 10:59am

Joseph- Welcome back. I hope you had a very nice vacation. I am leaning towards getting the Iomega eGo Blackbelt. It does only come in a 1TB size, but the cost per GB is low. It is the triple option (USB, 400FW, 800FW). Since I won’t be getting (or at least NOT planning on getting) another MBP in the near future this will work with my 800FW port. I have the Sandisk CF reader. right now I have 2 16GB CF cards and may get 2 8GB cards sometime over the next few months. This should do the trick. My only question is uploading my photos. I only have one FW port and I am assuming I upload my pictures to Aperture first (most likely as referenced) and use the Iomega as my back up drive or do I upload/copy them to the backup HD first then into A3?. I need to review how to do this first or wait for one of your Live Training sessions to cover this and library management. I will be traveling tomorrow so I’ll have to download the session instead of participate live. :(

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2011 - 1:11am

Florian,

According to the eGo product page, the drive has two FW 800 ports, so you can daisy-chain the drive to your reader. That’s actually a pretty impressive drive for size and capacity and cost—nice find!

So, you’ll not need to shuffle data around. Just plug the CF reader into the drive, the drive into the computer, and off you go.

As an alternative, what I often do, especially when I have multiple CF cards to import, is first copy all the images from the cards to a folder on the drive where I want them, then import that folder all at once into Aperture, and simply have Aperture MOVE the files (not copy) into an “Aperture Masters” folder with my desired folder structure (for me, that’s yyyy/mm/dd) on the same drive. Moving is instant, so the import is fast. Finder copies take less time than import copies (because it’s simply copying, not copying, generating previews, etc.). So I’ll do a bunch of CF-to-hard-drive finder copies, then kick off an import into Aperture and let ‘er rip.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by Florian Cortese
May 2, 2011 - 11:01am

Joseph- Thanks. I’ll follow your recommendations.

florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

by Florian Cortese
May 3, 2011 - 10:26pm

Joseph- Just one more question. The “Aperture Masters” folder, is that one that you copy the folder into, is that one that you have to create in Aperture or is it pre-existing?

florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 5, 2011 - 7:38am

Florian,

It’s a folder I created in the Finder. Nothing to do with Aperture. I create a folder in the Finder and then copy the files from multiple CF cards into that, and import them all at once into Aperture.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by Florian Cortese
May 5, 2011 - 8:57am

Joseph, Ah, I see. I’ll do the same. I ordered the iomega; it should be here this Friday. Now if only the weather will cooperate and let me get outside and take some pictures!

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
May 5, 2011 - 8:59am

I don’t know what kind of weather you’re having, but the other day someone on twitter linked images of a photographer taking pics in the rain… it made me feel like weathering the storm and capture some of that goodness. now of course if you’re having hurricanes and tornadoes… by all means stay safe. :)

R

by Florian Cortese
May 5, 2011 - 10:41pm

Actually, it’s just really trying to coordinate breaks in my work schedule and weather conditions. Both of them are very variable and work has not been as cooperative as the weather! BTW, we still had snow and snow mixed with sleet show up last week and this weekend looks like more of the same.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 6, 2011 - 12:19am

I love shooting in the rain. In fact this morning, I’m on Vancouver Island, BC Canada about to take a collection of 7th graders out shooting in the rain. Just be safe and keep your gear dry, and you’ll be having a great time!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
April 15, 2011 - 4:04pm

I would go for something that doesn’t require power, so a 2.5” drive. Last thing you want when traveling is taking my power cables with you.

It all depends on how many photos you will be taken, I think a small 500gb drive would do it.

I don’t take my mac with me, I use the iPad as a secondary storage however 64gb is pushing it these days for my backup, however I am very particular on the photos that I transfer over for backup.If I have 5 of the same ‘type’ I pick the best raw for backup and then leave the rest on the memory card to transfer back when I get home.

From the iPad I then make a second backup to flickr, I just like to be safe, it may be in Jpeg but it is better than having no backup whatsoever.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?