You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Plugin tiff locations & Referenced files #1
skale's picture
by skale
May 10, 2012 - 6:06am

When using a plug-in, a tiff is created which by default becomes “managed” even if original images are “referenced”. What are the pros/cons of moving tiffs to an external location (i.e. making them referenced)? I am using plugins quite a bit and concerned with eventual memory issues. Thanks in advance!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 11, 2012 - 8:09am

Leo,

No it’s not a big deal to move them at all.

However I’m curious why you’re seeing that. I too have Nik SEP 2 and just tested it; my newly created B&W file was referenced just like the master.

I wonder, do you have “ignore ownership on this volume” enabled on the drive where the photos live? Check this… select the drive in the finder, get info, and at the bottom under Sharing & Permissions, look for this box: [screenshot] (you’ll have to unlock it to make changes). If it’s not enabled, turn that on then try again with the plugin. My thinking is that if the checkbox is disabled, then Apertures doesn’t have permissions to create a new file in the Finder, so it’s created in the Aperture library instead.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

skale's picture
by skale
May 11, 2012 - 12:55pm

I played with that setting and my TIFFs are now managed… Many thanks!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 11, 2012 - 1:11pm

Great! Good to know that’s the solution. Thanks!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 10, 2012 - 9:40am

Leo,

It seems to depend on the plugin you’re using.

It’s supposed to put the new file in the same place that your masters are stored, and most do do this. That’s because they don’t create the file; Aperture does. It creates the TIF or PSD (as you’ve set in the preferences) next to the original Master, wherever that may be.

However some plugins, notably Nik’s HDR Efex Pro, don’t actually use the duplicated file. They create a new file, based off the handful of files you sent it, and place that back into Aperture. It appears that these always go back to Managed, no matter what you have set for the rest of your files.

Have you noticed if this is happening with a specific plugin, as I’m describing?

@PhotoJoseph

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 10, 2012 - 9:41am

I have to move managed files when ever I shoot tethered on location. Not a big deal at all and it keeps the internal HD free and open. File … Relocate Masters. Very easy

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

skale's picture
by skale
May 10, 2012 - 11:19pm

Joseph… The plugins I am refering to are Nik’s Silver Efex Pro & Dfine. It is not a big deal to have to move TIFFs to “referenced” and was just wondering if there are advantages of keeping them “managed”.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?