You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Photos turning gray after load #1
Clint Dorris's picture
by Clint Dorris
August 11, 2011 - 11:30am

After a hard rive crash, I installed Lion and reinstalled Aperture 3. I've noticed that when I see a preview of a photo it looks normal, but when I double click it, Aperture says “loading” for a second, then the photo gets a gray haze. For instance, skin tones look normal, then it loads and the photo is gray. If I load the same photo in iPhoto, it looks normal. Am I missing something? Thanks.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 11, 2011 - 11:31am

Clint,

RAW or JPG? I’m tracking a potential issue…

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Clint Dorris's picture
by Clint Dorris
August 11, 2011 - 11:57am

I’m importing Raw + JPEG with JPEG as master. It looks as if the processed jpeg is shown on the browser screen, but once it loads, it looks unprocessed and the colors don’t “pop”. I don’t even know if its always done this or not. I have 2 macs and keep the photos on external drives. I’m new to editing, or at least not experienced, so I don’t have the most critical eye. I appreciate the help.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 11, 2011 - 11:59am

Clint,

Please check your camera and see if it’s set to sRGB or Adobe RGB colorspace. It’ll be buried in a menu somewhere… sorry I can’t really point you to it. But this is important, so I really appreciate it if you can find out. Thanks.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Clint Dorris's picture
by Clint Dorris
August 11, 2011 - 12:08pm

I have it set to Adobe RGB. I changed it to this a few months ago. I set Aperture to show the color space and it appears that my older ones show sRGB, but the newer ones show “uncalibrated”. The sRGB ones just sharpen up, but maintain their color after loading, while the newer ones go gray.

I guess my concerns would be, 1) is this fixable in Aperture 2) can I still get the full color out of my files some other way.

I can easily switch my camera back. I’m not advanced enough to tell the difference, but I have listened to podcasts that say there is more information in Adobe RGB.

Should I just switch back to sRGB?

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
August 11, 2011 - 12:23pm

Clint, switch back, shoot a test, and see if that cures the problem. FYI I shoot sRGB RAW all the time, and I find it perfectly fine. I guess Adobe RGB has a little wider color gamut, but I could care less, because and am just generally put off/allergic to anything Adobe. But then that’s just me haha. good luck.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 11, 2011 - 12:52pm

Clint,

You’re having the problem I’ve been tracking. There appears to be an issue with Adobe RGB in Aperture right now. Yes, it’s generally considered a superior colorspace to sRGB. However if you shoot RAW, then that’s what really matters. Unless you need those JPG’s for some reason, I’d just go to shooting RAW all the time.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Clint Dorris's picture
by Clint Dorris
August 11, 2011 - 12:54pm

It appears to have fixed it. I can’t exactly reproduce it, but I have better skin tones in sRGB. Since, my most important shots are my daughter, that’s enough for me.

Thanks for the quick response. That’s the best I’ve seen from a website.

FYI, I think I learned about your site from TWIP or another podcast. I appraise houses, and I love my job. I drive 200 miles a day in rural West Tennessee. I see some wild stuff and have taken up photography as a hobby. I take pictures of houses all day as part of my job, but that’s not the same. During these 200 miles, I listen to a lot of podcasts, but have little time to shoot, so my knowledge is better than my experience.

Anyway, I’ve lurked on your site and many others, but never spent serious time here. I remembered it when I had my problem, and your response was great. I decided I needed to support you, so I just bought Work Like A Pro Photographer in Aperture 3. Thanks a lot.

I heard you talk about your trip last year. I have a photo of the same Elvis statue you took in Memphis. You should check it out on a big weekend some time.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 11, 2011 - 12:57pm

Thanks Clint, I appreciate the support! Hopefully you’ll love the training :)

And thanks for listening. I haven’t been on TWiP in ages, but that should change soon.

200 miles is a lot of driving! It’s funny, that’s when I’d listen to podcasts, too. I’ve had plenty of commutes, and always listened to podcasts. Now I barely get in the car more than two or three times a week, and that’s just to go 10 minutes to the store… so I’m super behind on them!

Elvis statue… does he get decorated or something? I’m sure that’s a riot to see :)

cheers and thanks again
-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Clint Dorris's picture
by Clint Dorris
August 11, 2011 - 1:12pm

There is a big music weekend and bbq fest called Memphis in May. In high school, after the music, we would meet at the Elvis statue b/c it is the first good landmark b/t the River and Beale Street. 15 years later, I was at the Peabody, for a more mature Memphis in May than high school. I took a morning walk, and saw him in a different light.

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
August 12, 2011 - 1:52am

Clint, here’s a link to a concise article that explains why, according to this fotog, 99% of us shooters should stick with sRGB:

http://www.jseaman.com/articles/srgb.html

AFAIK, the only shooters that do aRGB are high-end medium format commercial and art-print photographers whose clients demand a wider color gamut. but then these fotogs and clients are set up with high-end monitors and printers profiled for aRGB editing and reproduction.

My Olympus E-3s give me the choice between the two, but Ive never even considered aRGB because I dont have the high end monitor/printer equipment and do not shoot commercially. hope this helps : ) JB

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?