You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Permission with two user accounts. #1
G Vivanco's picture
by G Vivanco
September 13, 2010 - 4:14am

I have two user accounts on my laptop. Is there a way to access your library from both accounts without having to repair permission. I did go to the info on the library and made sure that can read and write with both accounts. Also made sure the photos have the same permission. I still have to repair permission. Am I missing something or s that just the way it is.
Thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 14, 2010 - 5:31am

G Vivanco,

I can’t say for sure as I’ve not tried it to be honest. However, where are you storing the library that you’re sharing; on another drive? If so, set that drive to Ignore Onwership (Get Info on the drive, and check the box in the lower left corner). If it’s on the local drive, move the Library into the Guest user folder. If it’s in either permissioned user folder, I think it’s going to risk getting permissions crossed.

If neither of those work, it may just be a limitation. Aperture really wasn’t ever designed for multiple users, so if this does work, you’re getting lucky ;-)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
September 14, 2010 - 12:45pm

G Vivanco,

I’m currently sharing several Aperture libraries between two accounts. At first I tried using the Share folder which everyone has access to. But MacOS X sets permissions based on which user creates a file in the Library and Aperture will refuse to even open the Library for a 2nd user. I was surprised at first because I’ve been sharing an iPhoto library this way for years. But Aperture is a different animal for sure.

The only way I’ve found that works is to use a 2nd drive as Joseph suggests. I’m using a 2nd drive inside my Mac Pro but on your laptop you’d need an external drive. Set the “Ignore Ownership” setting as Joseph suggests. I’ve been sharing this way for almost a year and have had no permissions issues.

You’re going to need a 2nd external drive for backup as well. You are backing up, right?

Tom

Thomas

G Vivanco's picture
by G Vivanco
September 15, 2010 - 11:59am

Yes I do have them on my HD driver on my laptop. It’s not a big deal to repair permission but I will try what you suggested.
Thanks George

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 16, 2010 - 3:13am

George,

If having the library on a separate drive is working for Thomas, then I’d definitely recommend you do that. Having to fix permissions every time you run Aperture doesn’t sound healthy (for you or the library!)

Please let us know how it goes when you try it that way.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

G Vivanco's picture
by G Vivanco
September 21, 2010 - 5:24am

Oh…Okay so I have a external 160 gb (LaCie fire wire 800) I should copy my libraries over to that and just run Aperture from them? Will that make Aperture run faster?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2010 - 5:52am

George,

It may be marginally faster, depending on the speed of that FW drive (most are 7200 rpm) and the speed of your internal drive (the default is 5400 rpm, unless you upgraded when you bought it). Regardless I doubt you’ll see any performance difference.

The advantage of course is that you won’t have to repair permissions as you switch users.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness