You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Original RAW nefs lost when exporting originals (not versions) #1
Toby Vandevelde's picture
by Toby Vandevelde
July 13, 2013 - 6:07pm

Hi there, hoping you might be able to help.

I use Aperture everyday to organise my photo workload as referenced files - storing the original RAW nefs in Pictures.

After star rating a batch of approx. 500 photos I wanted to edit I decided to make a new folder in Pictures for them by exporting the originals.
Aperture did the exporting thing and then showed up an error message that the export had failed.

So I assumed the originals would not have been moved and found when looking in the original Pictures folder that they were not there anymore. The Aperture previews are showing up the yellow triangle that the master file is missing. I have searched by date and name but think they have all been lost.

I have tried the drill disk software which found the files so I happily paid the upgrade fee to recover them.

Once recovered I could see the files in Aperture again without the yellow triangle this time, but when try exporting then they are sadly all corrupted.

I know I can try rebuilding the Aperture database but thought I should seek help first on what I should try next.

I have the original flash cards with half the images on which is good, but the other half were on a card I have since reformatted and used for other jobs.

Learning the hard way that I really should be backing up!

Thank you

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 15, 2013 - 6:36am

Do you think that your HD is starting to fail? Never heard of AP corrupting files via moving them. Ap like lots of HD space to work with and I leave it on longer just setting there (over night couple of nights per week) so AP n OS x can clean up files organization. And like you said Backups are so important. Do you store the referenced files on a different HD than the Lib? Good luck in the future.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 15, 2013 - 9:06am

Toby .. This is a known bug in Aperture. I filed a bug report, provided lots of data, and Apple confirmed the bug. Now we wait to see when a fix will be released.

Toby Vandevelde's picture
by Toby Vandevelde
July 15, 2013 - 6:27pm

Thank you for your help! I store my master files in the Pictures folder and reference them in AP. Am backing up everything now, and yes I do wonder if the HD might be failing. I’ve also checked I’ve got 370gb free of 1tb - not sure if that’s enough space? But once the back up is done I suppose I can clear out.
Is a bug fix likely to help or do you think my files are lost for good?
I’m waiting to hear if support from disk drill can help - frustrating as I’ve got 2 shoots to be getting in with!

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 15, 2013 - 10:34pm

I only know that Apple has positively confirmed the bug and that a fix is coming. Apple never tells when product updates and enhancements will be released.

mikesteelman's picture
by mikesteelman
May 23, 2014 - 12:42am

Any new news on this??? Just happened to me yesterday on export with version 3.4.5 and now I can’t find master files.

Help!

mike

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness