You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Aperture Library???? #1
katy's picture
by katy
July 31, 2012 - 9:27am

I think I have really confused myself and would greatly appreciate any/all help. I've just recently learned how to create a vault and have done so. My images are referenced and stored on a Gdrive. So my understanding is that in my vault is all of my metadata and keywords etc. and that the actual images are stored not in the vault but on my Gdrive.

So,I was reading other questions and responses in this forum and am now concerned. What is the ap library? I searched on my Gdrive and sure enough i have something called New Aperture Library and it seems to update in real time. What is this and should it be in my vault? Is it a copy of the vault? Very confused…

Thank you

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 31, 2012 - 9:52am

Katy,

The Library is what you’re opening when you launch Aperture, and usually lives in the Pictures folder, but you can put it anywhere you like. The icon looks like this: [screenshot].

The Library stores everything about your photos (metadata, adjustments, previews), including the Original photos themselves if you want (Managed library), but you already understand that you can also work Referenced, and then the Originals are stored elsewhere, which is what you are doing.

Since you are working Referenced, then yes you are correct, your Vault will NOT contain your Originals. You need to back those up separately.

You can have as many Aperture libraries as you like, and it sounds like you created one and named it “New Aperture library” at some point, and put that on your G-Drive. Perhaps that’s even the one you are actively working with.

An easy way to know what Aperture Library you are actually using is to launch Aperture, go to Aperture > Preferences… > General and look at the path to the library you’re currently using. You can even click the Reveal… button to reveal it on the hard drive. [screenshot]

Does that help?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

katy's picture
by katy
July 31, 2012 - 10:20am

Hi Joseph,

Yes, that is an enormous help; thank you! And yes, my New Aperture Library is in the Pictures Folder on my Gdrive. I’m not too techie and a lot of this is intimidating for me but I am determined to get all of my images and data safely backed up. I am still a bit confused though:

what is the difference between the vault I have created and the Aperture Library which is in my Pictures folder on the Gdrive?

Many Thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 31, 2012 - 10:21am

Katy,

The Library is your active working library. The Vault is a locked backup, a frozen state of your Aperture library if you will, that you can revert to at any time.

@PhotoJoseph

katy's picture
by katy
July 31, 2012 - 10:24am

Great, thank you. So, just for clarification: they contain the same data, keywords, ratings, locations etc. The Library continually updates itself as i use and modify aperture whereas the Vault only updates and modifies when I command it to. Correct?

Thx

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 31, 2012 - 10:25am

You got it. Also understand that the Vault isn’t something you can just open. You need to restore from the Vault, which takes time.

@PhotoJoseph

katy's picture
by katy
July 31, 2012 - 10:32am

Great, thank you Joseph. And I hope I never have to restore…..

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness