2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving iPhoto library to Aperture #1
Brian H's picture
by Brian H
April 16, 2015 - 4:37pm

Hi everyone

A new member of the forum here!

I can usually work out how to do things on my various Apple devices but I’m very worried about making a wrong move with the new Photos ap because I don’t want to lose my 30,000+ photos! I use both iPhoto and Aperture but I left my photos in iPhoto rather than move them to Aperture when I first bought Aperture because that seemed simpler, and it worked fine.  A while ago, I moved my entire library (almost 400gb) onto an external hard disk and set up a couple of vaults on a separate hard disk.  I have no great faith in Photos after reading about it, so I want to move my entire library into Aperture, whilst leaving it on the external hard disk.  However, I can find no way of doing that!  When I opened Aperture in the past, it simply opened up the “iPhoto library” and that was fine.  It still seems to be doing that but of course, iPhoto no longer exists!  So, two questions: do I need to move the library; and if I do, how do I do it?  I’d be really grateful for help from the experts out there.

Regards,

Brian H

Brian H

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 18, 2015 - 7:29am

You can merge your iPhoto library with your Aperture library from within Aperture. Choose File->Import->Library… and choose your iPhoto library. If it won’t import it might be because the iPhoto library is not a current enough format because you haven’t opened it with a recent version of iPhoto. In that case you would need to reinstall a recent version of iPhoto to convert it. But don’t fret about that unless it won’t import.

Make sure you have enough room on the drive where your Aperture library is located because it will increase by the size of the iPhoto library.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness