You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving Imported Masters into other Aperture Folders #1
Bob's picture
by Bob
March 10, 2012 - 1:17am

I'm new to Aperture and have read Peter's ebooks on File Management and Getting Started, but I'm still having trouble with a few things. Here's my scenario.

I imported photos from my iPhone into an Project named “NYC Feb 2012” which is inside a folder named “2012”. I realize that some of the photos are from October 2011 so I want to move them to an Album (Album A) inside the NYC Project that's inside the 2011 Folder.

I drag one of the files to Album A and drop it in. It shows that its in that album now.

Now I want to remove the photo from the NYC Feb 2012 Project so I use “Delete Version”. That brings up the following message box:

“Are you sure you want to move the selection to the trash? Some versions based on these master files are included in other albums. These versions will be removed from all Albums, Books, Light Tables, Web Pages, Web Journals, Slideshows,…etc. “

I'm obviously doing something wrong? How do I relocate these masters to a different folder from the one that I imported them to?

Thanks.
Bob

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
March 10, 2012 - 3:19am

I think you want to have them in projects instead.

Have a Folder called ‘2012’ then a project inside the folder with a date|description of the event and then place your photos in here.

Joseph did a training session on Folders, Albums and Projects (number 3) http://www.apertureexpert.com/livetraining-catalog/

Might be worth while checking it out.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 10, 2012 - 7:00am

Robert,

Who’s this Peter person? He moonlighting as me writing my training? ;-)

Chris is right, you’re confusing Projects vs Albums. Easiest way to understand it is like this: Projects store negatives, Albums store prints. If you put a photo in an Album, that’s fine. But if you delete it from the Project, it’s gone from everywhere.

You need to create a new Project for these photos you want to move out of the existing one.

Do check out Live Training number 3. It’s quite descriptive of the topic.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness