You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Missing folder with albums in aperture 3 #1
Waldemar Polido's picture
by Waldemar Polido
August 1, 2013 - 2:56am

After opening my iPhoto library in Aperture, I created a folder (a specific facial deformity), and created within it new albums with patient names. After reorganizing it, and closing Aperture, next time I reopened it, in a couple of days, the whole album with all folders (2 hours organizing) was gone! The photos (originals) are still there, but I lost all the organization. Anyway of recovering that, or avoiding this to happen again? Thanks

Waldemar

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
August 2, 2013 - 8:01pm

I assume you are fully up-to-date with both applications? Did you close Aperture and open the library with iPhoto, or did you use Aperture’s menu option to Open the Library in iPhoto (FIle > Open Library in iPhoto)? It shouldn’t make a difference. Just checking to better understand your situation. I have no explanation for why organization changes in one would not show up in the other, or get lost in a round trip from one to the other and back again.

You or someone else didn’t by chance restore that Library from Time Machine in between the work you did and the second time you opened the Library in Aperture?

by Waldemar Polido
February 10, 2014 - 1:20pm

HI. After reorganizing my photos in new albums and in a specific folder, it again disappeared out of nothing. Iy worked for some days, and then turning on Aperture it just was not there anymore. The photos are there, my organization (folder and album) not. Tips?

Waldemar

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
February 10, 2014 - 7:26pm

So let me make sure I understand this correctly. You open an iPhoto Library in Aperture. In Aperture, you create Folders and then create Albums inside those Folders (e.g. one per patient). You exit Aperture. Next time you open Aperture, all this organization is gone. Is that correct?

You may need to “Repair Permissions” on your Aperture Library. Press and hold the Option and Command keys as you start Aperture to pop up the Photo Library First Aid screen. There, select Repair Permissions then press the Repair button in the bottom right corner.

If that doesn’t fix it, you can take the next step and Repair Database. If that doesn’t fix it, the last resort will be to Rebuild Database.

by Waldemar Polido
February 20, 2014 - 12:02am

Yes, that is the problem. Photos are there but all my organization is gone. But just one folder, with all albums. Happened twice.  I will try your suggestion. Thanks

Waldemar

by Waldemar Polido
February 20, 2014 - 12:51am

Did not work. Still missing all the organization. I redid it now, using a project with folders and albums inside. 

New question: once I use aperture, can I get rid of the projects ? I import and organize in folders and albums, but once I show projects, a lot appear. If I delete a project, all photos stay or are deleted with it?

Waldemar

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
February 20, 2014 - 2:10am

You must have projects. Those are the containers that actually hold the images. Folders and albums are just additional organizational tools.

Also, repairing the library might not bring back some of the organization you lost, but hopefully it will prevent future loss. Did you rebuild the library?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness