You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Macbook Pro Retina performance #1
Kay in's picture
by Kay in
September 22, 2012 - 4:56pm

Hi all,

Just curious, how are you guys with retina's experiencing the performance.
Im currently running a Macbook pro 2.3 i7 15” retina with SSD and 16Gb ram.
This should be a beast of a machine. But especially during import and when dodging/burning and stuff my cursor and machine is getting pretty choppy.

I ran this setup before on a Macbook pro 13” with SSD machine and 8gb and it was insanely fast.. all sports photographers run Photomechanic because its lightning fast, and i laughed at everyone because my workflow was so much better, and quicker and always had my photos up first. but now its just driving me nuts!

any other experiences or maybe tips?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
September 27, 2012 - 3:10am

Just as a second data point I have a 2.6GHz i7 Retina MBP w/ 16GB of RAM. I have experienced no issues in performance in any screen resolution mode.

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
September 22, 2012 - 9:22pm

Hi Kay,

I think Joseph is planing to write a review soon on using the Macbook Pro Retina.
A while back I posted some information on this forum: Retina Review. Also over on the “The Digital Story” site Derrick Story posted this comparison Macbook Pro Retina between the Macbook Retina and the MacAir.

Best,

Stu

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 23, 2012 - 5:36pm

Kay, Stu,

I’ve been using it a fair amount the last month, and I’m seeing insanely fast performance everywhere, and my test machine has only 8GB RAM! Imports are lighting quick (when importing to the SSD; I can’t say how fast reporting to other drives although when I did some speed tests on my FW 800 RAID connected through a Thunderbolt adapter, performance was slightly faster than FW 800 on my iMac).

If you’re seeing sluggish performance I think something else is at play. Full hard drive? Too many other apps running at the same time? Are you working off the SSD?

Derrick is here at Photokina as well, and he is completely in love with his Retina. He is using it as his full-time Mac now.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kay in's picture
by Kay in
September 23, 2012 - 6:14pm

Hi Joseph / Stu,

Thank you for your responses. its not useable at all right now. when i scroll to photos (without preview mode) each photo takes up to 1/2 seconds which is just to slow. when i dodge and burn cursor gets choppy, and when i adjust levels it takes 2/3 sec to take any effect.

Just noticed that when i only browse the cpu goes up to 113%+
Since i just used it as temp library (later i will import that in my full archive) the library is only a 2.000 to 4.000 images large.

Here some other information

Macbook Pro 2.3 i7 16gb ram and 265GB SSD.
Clean new install mountain lion (only adobe suite, chrome, aperture, dropbox and skype are installed)
Turned off faces, and geo location in aperture, and also set previews to quality 6 and half size. no other apps running.

by the way not only aperture gets slow, but when i just did some changes to a image and i command tab into a other app. its slow as well..

getting crazy

current activity monitor stats
ram 12.7 gb used 3.2 free
1.8 gb swap used
disk activity small peaks of around 900kb so nothing exciting here
network almost not used. (so no backup or anything is on

for cpu with a idle aperture in the background is just normal
93% idle
skype uses some 3%
chrome 2%
photoshop 1.2%

my other system is a i5 8gb macbook pro 13” with 8gb of ram and also a SSD and a lot of shit on it, and harddisk for 95% full and that one is lightning fast.

so im really stuck here :-(

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 23, 2012 - 6:20pm

Kay,

So again, it’s definitely an issue with your Mac. Maybe a bad OS install, maybe even bad hardware. Can you get into an Apple Store and have them look at it?

@PhotoJoseph

Kay in's picture
by Kay in
September 24, 2012 - 6:42am

Just did a clean install. and checked everything. also installed GFXCardStatus to be sure the good graphics card is selected at all times. now lets see how everything runs

i did notice the retina display mode is a lot faster then the “more space” display mode.

Kay in's picture
by Kay in
September 24, 2012 - 6:56pm

just a small update.
a clean install via SD card made a ton of a difference.
but still the macbook runs best in just retina mode.
so im switching now all the time.
Retina for photo editing, and more space 1920 setting for all the rest ;)

still hope improvements are possible in the 1920 view.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 24, 2012 - 11:28pm

Kay,

That’s great!

As far as the performance difference at the higher resolution; that does make sense. After all you’re asking the Mac to display a lot more graphics at once, and Aperture is very graphics intensive, so it makes sense.

Running at native rez felt too “big” to me at first (compared to my 11” Air which renders everything smaller), but I’m used to it again now and love it.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?