You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Keywords have stopped working #1
Chris Manning's picture
by Chris Manning
August 16, 2010 - 11:59pm

Hi folks. I hope someone else has had this issue and can help me out. I'm running the latest update for Aperture 3. I have a group of smart albums set up for my iPad, that make use of keywords and ratings. Recently most of the smart albums have stopped working (they are empty of images.) When I investigated it looks like Aperture doesn't recognize most of the keywords that I have used on my photos. This is the same for just filtering or setting up a smart album.

These keywords have worked fine in the past. Not all of my keywords have stopped working, maybe 80% are not. I have tried to remove the keywords from the images and either replace them with the same keyword or different ones, and nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Is there someway to force Aperture to rebuild the keyword index?

Thanks
Chris

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 2:36am

Chris,

Puzzling. You said that it doesn’t recognize the keywords; what exactly do you mean? If you look at the image’s metadata, do you see the keywords listed there? Is it just that Aperture won’t find those keywords even though they are there?

How is the keyword search set up in the smart album? Are you using the custom Keyword field, or are you using a a text field?

Also be sure that the smart album is searching the right project—if they were moved, they may be searching the wrong place. Open the smart album and at the top, you’ll see the “Source” setting.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Chris Manning's picture
by Chris Manning
August 20, 2010 - 3:19am

Thanks for the reply Joseph.

If I look at the metadata for the images, the keywords show up. If I go to Library–>Photos I see all of the photos in the library. If I try to filter those photos by checking off one of the listed keywords, all of the photos disappear as it can’t find any photos to fit that filter (even though I know they are in the library view). None of the other filters are affected. I can filter by rating or colour just fine.

I have been using the Custom Keyword filter. I have also confirmed that the source is correct. In almost all cases, these are smart albums that have been working fine, and now aren’t.

I am going to try building a new library tonight with some of the images and see if it is an issue with just that library. I just hope I don’t have to re-build the whole library manually.

Chris

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 4:10am

Chris,

You should probably rebuild the library (not by hand, but by holding down command-option on launch). There are three levels; I think the middle one is probably what you need.

Safety first—back up the library before proceeding, if possible. While I’ve never had a library get into a worse state after a rebuild, you can never be too safe!

@PhotoJoseph

Chris Manning's picture
by Chris Manning
August 20, 2010 - 9:29am

I tried the the middle option but that didn’t help. I did the bottom one and that fixed things up. It shuffled everything around but it looks like it all survived the rebuild.

That saved me a lot of pain and suffering.

Thanks
Chris @silver_hand

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 9:54am

Great news! Glad to hear it :)

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?