You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
iTunes/Apple TV/Aperture glitch… #1
Normand Lepine's picture
by Normand Lepine
November 15, 2011 - 10:13pm

This issue has partially been discussed on this forum but there is still, in my case, a major glitch.

I find it impossible to see my Aperture Library through Apple TV 2 (updated to latest software). The instructions I read from this forum and Apple Communities' look pretty simple but they don't work for me.

The iPhoto library shows up alright. Why not Aperture? In iTunes 10.5, Aperture is selected in the Advanced –> Choose Photos to Share. Is there something else to specify or check in this sub-menu?

I also have Home Sharing “on” (could this be a source of conflict?).

Mac OS Lion 10.7.2
iMac Mid-2011
iTunes 10.5
Aperture 3.2.1

Thanks!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 18, 2011 - 9:31pm

Normand,

This seems to be a never-ending issue with Aperture+iTunes, unfortunately.

Just to be certain, you do have “Share Previews with iLife and iWork” set to either “Always” or “When Quitting Aperture”, correct? [screenshot]

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Normand Lepine's picture
by Normand Lepine
November 18, 2011 - 10:00pm

Joseph,

Yes, I do have “Share Previews with iLife and iWork” set to “Always”.

I believe you’ll agree with me I’m sure that this is a major annoyance.

I have maintained iPhoto alive beside Aperture, just in case, but all the experts have said it’s a bad practice. I agree but I’m glad I did, because now (with Apple TV) I could not show my 8,000+ photos and videos to my family and friends using Aperture.

I’ve always wanted to use Aperture exclusively, so I’m extremely disappointed and wonder if I should not transit back to iPhoto, which Apple seems to prefer…

After the careless MobileMe trashing, I now prepare for the worst with my Apple software. Will it still be there 2 or 3 years from now?

I hope this Aperture+iTunes issue is recognized as a bug and that it will be fixed.

Thank you very much for your help!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 18, 2011 - 10:19pm

Normand,

I wouldn’t be using Aperture myself or running this site if I wasn’t confident of it’s future.

Because of issues like this, and complications of running/sharing multiple Libraries with multiple iDevices, I stopped using the sharing features years ago. I take a different approach which has served me very well for years now, and is essentially unbreakable. I wrote about it over a year ago, when these problems were really coming to a head, here: “Current Aperture/iLife Sharing Nightmares, and How to Avoid It Entirely”.

As I’ve recommended to many users before — sometimes we just have to accept that, for whatever reason, a feature isn’t working the way we expect it to, want it to, or is even advertised to. You can either spend countless hours trying to figure out how to fix it, fighting the bug, and discussing ad-nauseum how messed up it is, OR just figure out a workaround and go with that. More and more I choose option B. I personally don’t have the time to fight it, and as much as it might suck to not get to use the cool feature that is advertised, I’d rather just work around it and move on.

I like my solution. It’s fast, it works, and I get to see exactly the photos I want to see on any device I want to see them on, painlessly.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Normand Lepine's picture
by Normand Lepine
November 18, 2011 - 10:30pm

Joseph,

Thanks for your workaround. I did not know it’s existence.

macIntouch.com indicates this morning that there is an Apple TV 4.4.3 coming up today. No details yet.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness