You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
iTunes Server #1
skale's picture
by skale
March 31, 2012 - 7:12am

Apologies in advance for unrelated to Aperture question but… Joseph - in your live training, I saw “itunes server” configured in your finder and curious what you are using to set it up - mac mini, another computer, etc.? Many thx!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 1, 2012 - 2:27am

Leo,

LOL… yeah it’s a headless Mac Mini running Lion and attached to dual large hard drives (Time Machine backup). I manage it over Screen Sharing and it is the main sync system for my iDevices, and streams to the Apple TV. iTunes is always running on it, so it downloads podcasts and syncs to the iPhone as they come in, has all the music, etc. Now that the Apple TV is truly a streaming device it makes sense to have a server for your media. This Mini is a couple of years old, and I think I had to upgrade the RAM for Lion but that was cheap.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
April 1, 2012 - 4:48pm

Ha! I have pretty much the same setup with the Mini, though it’s just for media/tv.

I have a second Mini, in a fireproof strong box in the basement where all our backups go. It handles Time Machine for my wife’s business (she works on sensitive documents as a translator for major corporations, which was a big incentive to get her backups in a safe) and a Chronosync backup of my image archives. (Chronosync is the only app I found which works correctly over a LAN). In my view, a Mini (especially an old one, off eBay or something) is a much better way to spend your money and infinitely more useful than a ‘NAS’ system.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 2, 2012 - 2:48am

gfsymon,

Cool… do you backup to the cloud as well? You know I’m a big Backblaze fan.

@PhotoJoseph

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
April 2, 2012 - 5:31am

No we can’t get a fibre connection here, so it’s not really practical for images. We have 2 separate buildings, so the fire/flood fear is pretty much catered for. That just leaves theft and I honestly think my armoured cabinet is going to defeat anyone in this neck of the woods that’s likely to come across it.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 2, 2012 - 10:53am

gfsymon,

Fair enough. What connection do you have, just curious? You’d be surprised at the efficiency of the backblaze backup, even on a “normal” broadband connection. It took a while but I do have several TB backed up there now. It’s a good feeling.

@PhotoJoseph

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
April 2, 2012 - 5:07pm

I have 1Mbit up, which always tops out at around 850kb/s.

Having off-site is the key and I have that without the hassle. I have one friend who for years has posted, every couple of weeks, by snail mail, a backup DVD to his mum. Cheapest off-site backup I’ve ever heard of. :) :)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 3, 2012 - 2:33am

gfsymon

hehe that works too!!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?