You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Issue synching iPad and iPhone photos with iTunes. #1
Martin Herrera's picture
by Martin Herrera
July 21, 2012 - 4:01am

Recently I have noticed that when I sync photos through iTunes (10.6.3) into my iPad (3) of iPhone (4s) running the latest iOS version (5.1.1), instead of only synching the primary image. I have quit Aperture (3.3.1) and made sure that the previews have been refreshed, and yet, all stacks are synched as individual versions, leaving me with multiple copies of the files in the devices. Any suggestion? Thanks a lot. m.

Martin Herrera Soler | www.martinhsphoto.com

Kevin Edwards's picture
by Kevin Edwards
July 21, 2012 - 6:15am

It’s either a bug or (good god I hope not) a feature. Send a feedback message here:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

Write a review and mention the bug in the Mac App Store here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aperture/id408981426?mt=12
(click to view in Mac App Store)

Other than that, there are partial work arounds that may or may not help…

1) Delete all the versions in the Stacks except your Pick (this has the obvious disadvantages).

2) Create Smart Albums of just your Picks and sync those (involves extra work, will slow down Aperture and clutter the Library pane).

3) Delete all previews except for the Pick previews (involves extra work, you might want those other previews, and this option may not work at all due to the Preview Bug in 3.3.1, see below).

Previews don’t properly recognize the resolution settings. It should work such that if the Preview resolution setting is equal to or greater than the original size, the original should be used as a Preview. However, unless the image has been edited, the Originals are being used as Previews, even if you try to Delete/Update/Generate Previews. This is a problem since Aperture is only supposed to Sync and share Previews. Thus, option #3 above isn’t going to work if you have unedited versions in your stacks (unless you do some sort of false edit, and then delete the preview).

Martin Herrera's picture
by Martin Herrera
July 24, 2012 - 10:14am

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate it. I really hope that Apple figures this out. It used to work well. Not sure if this ‘broke’ with the latest Aperture update. But it does not make sense that I have to break my stacks in order to sync with the iOS devices. If I hear anything I will let you know. I just submitted the feedback to Apple. m.

Kevin Edwards's picture
by Kevin Edwards
July 26, 2012 - 9:12am

This is fixed in 3.3.2!!! Apple fixed other things too. I’m a really happy camper!!!

Previews are still not being generated if an image hasn’t been edited and instead uses the Original as a Preview, but since the sync bug was fixed, I’m thinking the way Aperture handles Previews in 3.3.x is more of a feature than a bug. I think I prefer it this way since it saves space.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 26, 2012 - 9:36am

Kevin,

What part is fixed? There are multiple issues discussed in this thread and I’d love to know precisely what you’re seeing as fixed, thanks.

Also regarding previews, if I’m understanding correctly, you’re seeing the difference between the “Camera Previews” and “Standard Previews” [screenshot]. Maybe I’m interpreting your post wrong, I’m jumping into the middle of this conversation here ;-)

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Martin Herrera's picture
by Martin Herrera
July 27, 2012 - 3:20am

Based on my recent test, it seems that with the new Aperture, iTunes does properly sync only the primary image of the stack. Good news. Thanks all.

Kevin Edwards's picture
by Kevin Edwards
July 27, 2012 - 7:16am

@joseph,

Sorry for the brevity, I didn’t have time for full details. Here’s the deal:

In Aperture 3.3 and 3.3.1, when you synced to an iOS device, all images in a Stack would sync regardless of whether or not it was a Pick or a non-Pick Version. This was not the case in 3.2.4 or earlier.

This specific behavior has been fixed in 3.3.2. Now, Aperture won’t sync non-Pick Versions in a Stack.

During the dark days of Aperture 3.3/3.3.1, there were potential work arounds. One involved creating smart albums that only had the picks and then syncing just the smart albums, but this meant extra work and potentially bogged down Aperture.

The other potential work around was to delete the previews of the non-Pick Versions. This would work since only the Previews are supposed to be synced. However, Aperture 3.3 introduced new behavior with Previews as they pertain to jpegs.

In Aperture 3.3 (and 3.3.1/3.3.2), Previews for jpegs don’t physically exist, regardless of settings, if the image has never been adjusted. If the image has been adjusted, a preview file is created on disk (in Previews) that uses the Preview Settings (if maintain Previews is on). If the image has never been adjusted, there is no physical preview file that exists on disk. Instead, Aperture uses the Original as a (virtual) Preview.

This has advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is that it can save on disk space for your Aperture library. One disadvantage is that it can consume more storage on your iOS device since it may sync full sized Originals as virtual Previews instead of Previews that you set the resolution for.

Another disadvantage is that it can be confusing as heck. You would think that Previews in Aperture 3.3.x would be “always on”, since you can’t delete virtual Previews. However, if you adjust an image, a Physical Preview is made, and that Preview can be deleted leaving you with an image with no preview (not even a virtual Preview). Likewise, if you turn of the maintaining of Previews, and you make an adjustment, there will be no Preview for the image, unless you generate one.

One other issue with previews is if your library is opened and images are adjusted in iPhoto. In that case, again physical Previews are made, but unlike in Aperture where you can set the resolution, in iPhoto there is no resolution setting, and it uses the resolution of the original image.

I’m torn between thinking this virtual Preview thing is a feature versus a bug.

Maybe the new method of Previews makes more sense with RAW instead of JPEG, and I know, I know, I should be shooting in RAW. I really should. I’ll get there someday, and kick myself for not doing it from the beginning.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 27, 2012 - 8:15am

Kevin,

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting observation on previews for JPEGs. I didn’t know that, but then again I shoot mostly RAW.

So yeah, you really should go RAW ;-) Just one switch in the camera, and other than fitting fewer images on your memory cards, your workflow won’t really change!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness