You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
iSplash compatible with Aperture 3 ? #1
bob william's picture
by bob william
January 8, 2012 - 6:07am

Background - I am still using Aperture 2 with OS 10.7.2 on a MacBookPro. One of the reasons is that I frequently use an application called iSplash which converts a color image to b/w and then its tools allow one to selectively retrieve color in chosen parts of the image field to create a very nice color highlight effect within a black and white image.
The developer of the application has, in his words, “gone on to other things” so there will be no more upgrades. I don't know if he upgraded iSplash for Aperture 3 or, even if he did, since he's left the project if it would still be available to download once I upgraded to 3.
I would like to upgrade to 3 but under no circumstances do I want to lose iSplash.

The question - when one downloads a newer version of a program one has paid for does one lose the older, original version, in this case : would Aperture 3 somehow over ride and remove Aperture 2, and the attendant ability to use iSplash, from my hard drive ? OR……. could I maintain both versions of Aperture side by side and use the older one for iSplash work ?

If so, how do I perform the download of 3 to make sure it doesn't' erase version 2 ?

If such an erasure of the old by the new is unavoidable does any one know of another application which is compatible with 10.7.2 and with Aperture 3 which would perform the same function as iSplash ?

Thank you very much.

Bob

Bob S.

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
January 8, 2012 - 6:43am

Is iSplash an app or a plugin for aperture?

Is it this one that is on the App Store:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/isplash/id423273756?mt=12

I am not too sure if Aperture 2 & 3 could co-exist, I would imagine that when you install Aperture 3 it will ask you to point to your existing library and would then upgrade it… Which would then make it impossible to go back to 2… unless you have of course created a backup that you could then point Aperture 2 back towards.

I do a few B&W with colour selection images in aperture 3 using the native B&W tool. I turned the image B&W and then removed the effect from a section of the image.

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
January 8, 2012 - 7:14am

I was trying to find an example of a “colorsplash” that I have done in aperture 3.

This was, like i have mentioned, converting the image to black and white and then using the option to Brush Black & White away.

Click here

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 8, 2012 - 9:05am

Bob,

Aperture 3 shouldn’t overwrite Aperture 2, but just to be certain, right-click on Aperture 2 and choose “Compress”. That will make a .zip file that contains Aperture 2, and if you ever need to pull it up, you can just open that.

However as Chris said, once your Library is opened in Aperture 3, you won’t be able to open it in Aperture 2. BUT you can always maintain a separate Library for A2 that you just open when needed.

All that said, if iSplash is an app, it doesn’t matter what version of Aperture you’re using because they are not connected in any way.

If it’s a plug-in, then the developer can hopefully at least tell you if it’s compatible with Aperture 3.

Finally, as Chris also said, what you’re looking to do can be achieved in Aperture 3 without the use of any plugins at all… so perhaps that’s your easiest answer right there!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

bob william's picture
by bob william
January 9, 2012 - 1:27am

My appreciative thanks to both Chris and Joseph. The image Chris posted to illustrate Aperture 3’s ability to do what iSplash does was, apart from being a very nice shot, just what I needed to see to know that Aperture 3 will allow me to continue producing effects which I find very pleasing.
And Joseph’s info on how to compress and “save” Aperture 2, should I desire, was also helpful. It will be a time saver to be able to do this right in Aperture 3, not having to work first in iSplash and thereafter reimport to Aperture.
Thanks, again, to both for sharing their knowledge.
Bob

Bob S.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 10, 2012 - 6:29am

Great Bob! You’re quite welcome, and you know where to come if you have any additional questions :)

cheers

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

bob william's picture
by bob william
January 16, 2012 - 11:58pm

As an update : Aperture 3 did overwrite Aperture 2 but that’s okay since it all went fine.

The feature of iSplash which I wanted to save is, in fact, present and active in the Adjustments>Black & White>Black & White Away feature quick brush.

Thanks for the advice(s).

Bob

Bob S.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?