You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
iPhoto to Aperture #1
Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
June 15, 2012 - 6:09am

Although the Unified Libraries is a good idea, at this point, I still want to move my old photos from iPhoto into Aperture. I was hoping that the new release would make it easier and now it seems like it's made moving Events from iPhoto to Projects in Aperture more difficult. Maybe I'm just not approaching the move in the correct way.
1 - I'm afraid to move everything in one fell swoop. Are my fears grounded?
2 - I've been moving iPhoto Events to Aperture Projects on an as needed basis. Using File, Import, iPhoto Browser. Copying Events (which I still haven't deleted in iPhoto)
3 - I converted my Library structure to Joseph's recommended structure and I happy with it and ready to move the rest of the iPhoto Events.
4 - Aperture 3.3 got rid of the process I was using - no iPhoto Browser anymore
5 - Had a One to One at my local Apple Store. We tried making a Event into a Library and then merging it back into Aperture. It worked but with a major problem - I can't do any Adjustments on the photos. Everything in Adjustments in grayed out and there is a message “iPhoto Externally Edited Image”
6 - Obviously, I didn't move things the way they are meant to be moved. Any ideas on how to move iPhoto Events to Aperture Projects a few at a time?
7 - If I have to do the whole damn thing at once should I wait awhile and see if there are any bugs in the process?

Thanks in advance for your help. I love this website! I was more up to date on the new Release than the Apple Trainer.

Susan

Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
June 15, 2012 - 6:38am

Now it won’t let me edit the photos I moved in iPhoto either! Other Events from dates before and after it are just fine. Here’s the message:
“Image Cannot Be Edited
This photo was previously edited with another application or with an early version of iPhoto. Duplicate this photo to edit it.”

Susan

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 15, 2012 - 6:52am

Susan,

I’m not sure I understand what you’ve actually done.

The Unified Library means that, once you’ve upgraded to iPhoto 9.3 and Aperture 3.3 (and launched both apps so they can update your libraries), then the iPhoto and Aperture libraries are completely interchangeable. You can open one in the other. There is no need to import (although you can merge them if you like).

There is no move anymore. So I’m confused as to what you’re seeing and what you’ve actually done.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
June 15, 2012 - 7:14am

I tried to make it clear but evidently I didn’t.
Yes, I can get back and forth from aperture to iPhoto libraries - no problem there.
But now that my Aperture Library is so organized I’d like my iPhoto library to merge with it. I just didn’t want to do the whole thing at once in case there were bugs. I wanted to continue doing it in phases. For example - I’d move my 2002 photos from iPhoto to Aperture. Then clean up their names, put them in the right place before moving on to 2003, etc.

What we did this morning was test by making an Event into a library and putting it on the desktop. Then going into Aperture and merging that library. Now I can’t edit. The photos in that Event in iPhoto or that Project in Aperture.

Should I just bite the bullet and merge my whole iPhoto library? Or wait a month or so to make sure their aren’t bugs in that process?

Not something that I have a deadline to do. It’s just nice to finally have a library structure that is working for me in Aperture as opposed to the mess of iPhoto.

Susan

Susan

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 15, 2012 - 9:54am

Susan,

OK, so you have an iPhoto library that you eventually want to merge with Aperture. Why not just open that iPhoto library in Aperture (drag it onto the Aperture icon, or from within Aperture, choose “switch to library” and choose the iPhoto one, or right-click on the Library and choose “open with Aperture), organize it however you like (and verify things are working since you seem to be having editing problems with it), and only once it’s completely clean, merge it with your existing Aperture library?

There’s no need to import… simply open the same Library with a different app.

Does that make sense?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
June 15, 2012 - 10:10am

Joseph,
I will look at these options and get back to you with what works for me. Many thanks!!
Susan

Susan

Philip M's picture
by Philip M
June 15, 2012 - 10:34pm

Susan: I did just that. I had 2 iPhoto libraries on an Ext HD. I then started using Aperture and only imported my photos there instead of using iPhoto over the past few months.

After the 3.3 upgrade, I wanted all my photos in one place without having to hold the “option” key down and choose a library, etc. The 3.3 allowed me to import one iPhoto library into Aperture without any problems approximately 1900 photos. When I tried to merge the second iPhoto library which had over 16,000 photos, I had problems.

I had to call Apple Support who had me speak to Aperture Pro support techs several times. Because Aperture and iPhoto are now one, they had me import/merge my Aperture photos into the iPhoto library (large one) and then rename the library Aperture. This due to the fact that the larger iPhoto library would not merge at all for some unknown reason.

I was using a referenced library for Aperture, but was told for my purposes (which is wanting all my photos in one location and wanting to back up my whole library each time) that a Managed File system was the way to go. Also, using the Vault to back up on another 2 external HD’s that I have. *I use LaCie rugged’s 1TB to back up and store in different locations, etc.

My Aperture library resides on my Lacie T/Bolt 2TB external HD which is connected to my Macbook Pro.

Hope this helps, as it took a few calls with Pro Support and I have to say that they suggested Aperture Expert to help me with any questions and pointers!! So, I joined and donated and found this site to a be extremely helpful!!

Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
June 15, 2012 - 11:23pm

OMG Joseph. I love you! I’m just going to organize my iPhoto library in Aperture. The prepend projects AppleScript that I downloaded from your website works and I am now a happy girl.
WOW!
Thanks,
Susan
PS Will tackle moving them to Aperture later if and when I want to. It may not be necessary. Now I get it.

Susan

Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
June 16, 2012 - 9:42am

I have started organizing my iPhoto Library through Aperture. It has gone fairly smoothly with one hitch which has to be a bug. I will post in new subject - some portrait oriented photos have the message - iPhoto Externally Edited Image and all the Adjustments are grayed out. Meanwhile the landscape oriented photos in the same Project are just fine. What’s with that?

Thanks for your help. I’m having so much fun looking at all my old photos and mailing them to friends.

Susan

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 16, 2012 - 9:48am

Susan,

Glad to hear you “get it” now! Awesome.

I’ll look for your other post. That does sound odd, for sure.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?