You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
iPad/iTunes Syncing #1
Trevor Ager's picture
by Trevor Ager
May 4, 2013 - 7:09pm

I wonder if anyone else has come across this and may have an answer.

I like to keep some of my Aperture folders on my iPad and I do this by syncing photos in iTunes with selected folders from my Aperture library.

I use a referenced file library and until recently had all my photos in one large Aperture library. As this library was too big, I decided to create a new library for this year. I have called this 2013.aplibrary and made it my default library.

This is where I have a problem. I have photos on my iPad which were sync'd from my previous library and now I want to sync some from my new default 2013 library. Now if I try to do this, iTunes tells me it will delete any other photos on my iPad. iTunes only seems to see the default library and because the 2013 library is my default there does not seem to be any option to also sync from another Aperture library.

Does anyone know of a way to sync with multiple Aperture libraries?

I know that I could export all my files to another folder and then sync that folder to my iPad but that would mean creating lots of jpegs that I do not really want to do.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
May 5, 2013 - 5:48am

Trevor,

Unfortunately it isn’t possible to use iTunes to sync more than one library to an iPad without do an export of the desired images from each library to an single external folder.

You might try using shared Photo Streams. I’m not sure what happens to shared photo streams when you add them from multiple libraries. But it might be worth a try. I believe that the iPad copies all the images from shared photo streams into its internal memory so you don’t need an internet connection once they get copied there. I haven’t tried this so if it works, post back and let us know. One thing that might happen is all the libraries will synchronize to the shared photo streams so those will be in every library - even if those images originally came from a different library.

Thomas

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
May 6, 2013 - 3:30am

I used multiple Libraries and Shared Photo Streams work great. The stream is associated with your iCloud account, not your Library, so once you publish a new stream it stays in iCloud until you delete it. If you turn off Photo Streams in one Library and turn it on in another, you will see all your iCloud Photo Streams in the new Library .. even ones that you published from a different Library.

You need to understand what happens with images when you publish them to a Photo Stream. Aperture downsizes them to 2048 pixels on the long edge (the max resolution of an iPad). These are only JPG copies of the images in your Library.

Trevor Ager's picture
by Trevor Ager
May 6, 2013 - 10:32pm

Thank you Walter and Thomas. I have never used Photo Streams but this looks like a good option for me so will give it a try when I have some time.

OK on the images being downsized to small jpegs but that is ok as it is just so that I can have a record of images on my iPad.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?