You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Importing (referencing) PS edited Images and accessing original layered file from Aperture #1
Shane Hulbert's picture
by Shane Hulbert
September 16, 2010 - 6:00pm

My imported as reference PS images make new master files when I try and edit in PS and do not include all my layers from the original (because it is a new file).

This one is driving me crazy!! I have several hundred images that I want to import as referenced files into Aperture 3. They are referenced as they are all 4x5” scans and are over 200MB each (I make large prints..). My issue is that I want to then use Aperture as a CMS, so when I open the referenced file from Aperture I want all my adjustments and layers from the imported file there. The problem is that when I do this, it creates a new master and the image that opens in PS is flat with none of the original layers. In the past I have been using iView Media Pro, which only works as a reference system, so the original file opens in PS.

Of course if I do this with a new scan, the issue is not there - Aperture links back to the new referenced master file, complete with layers etc. The issue is only on files that have layers and are imported into Aperture…

Anyone else using a similar workflow, or know a fix for this problem? Thanks.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 18, 2010 - 7:13am

Shane,

I know exactly the problem you’re having. Aperture insists on opening any image that it doesn’t have the “target” logo on it by duplicating it before opening in PSD—this is working as designed, as it’s protecting the master file. However I’ve also had this happen “make new version first” step happen after multiple round-trips with multiple versions, where for some reason even though it’s a layered PSD, Aperture wants to make a new version before opening.

The solution I have is simple and only takes one more step, and IMHO is an acceptable workaround.

All I do is “Show in Finder” (which reveals the original, master PSD file in the Finder), then double-click that to open it in Photoshop. I’ve set up a keyboard shortcut, Command-R, to do that (“reveal” being my R logic). After you save the file in Photoshop, once you return to Aperture, it will refresh the thumbnail from the original (I guess it is always checking for a change) and you’re back in business.

That will allow you to use Aperture as a CMS.

I suppose the only challenge could be if you wanted to work with a Managed library. This will only work if you’re running Referenced, since you need to access the original PSD file (which you can’t do if it’s inside the Aperture library).

I’m not quite sure what you meant by if I do this with a new scan, the issue is not there… how would a scan be a layered file? I guess it doesn’t matter, since that part is working as you expect it to :) Just curious!

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Shane Hulbert's picture
by Shane Hulbert
September 18, 2010 - 10:55am

Thanks for the speedy reply - the answer makes sense, and I should have mentioned that I did try that, but it did not work, not sure if it is the size of the files, or the version of PSD that I am using (CS5). I’ll load CS3 (which I use to make printer profile charts with no colour management - something CS4 & CS5 doesn’t do right) and see if that makes a difference.

The ‘new scan’ comment - might have been a bit vague here, but if I make a new scan from a tranny or neg, and then reference the scan in Aperture as the FIRST STEP, I can then use Open in PS and start the editing process, which of course then gets the target and all is good.

I’ll keep investigating and update if I find a solution.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 19, 2010 - 3:44pm

Shane,

So you’re going to the Finder, opening a PSD file, editing and saving, then back in Aperture it’s not updating? At that point you still won’t be able to do the “open in editor”… you’re basically locked into having to do the reveal trick.

If it’s just a case of the image not updating, you can force the thumbnail to update (Photos menu) and even force the EXIF to update (Metadata menu).

And I’m still not clear on what you’re doing with the new scan. You’re saying make a new scan, import it to Aperture as referenced, and do the open in editor, and it does work the way you want it to? Are you sure, because if Aperture generates a new PSD for you, it’d look the same in photoshop (no layers were there to begin with). Sorry, just still not quite getting what’s happening and what’s not in this case.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness