You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Importing / merging libraries #1
Richard Mathews's picture
by Richard Mathews
January 25, 2013 - 7:56am

Hi. I have some projects on a Macbook Air that I want to transfer to my iMac. I have done this several times before by exporting as a library and importing the exported library. However, my latest attempts (on a new iMac) has caused problems.

The issue is that it doesn't merge the imported library into the main library, but rather it creates a separate library, which I can switch to … but then I can't see the main Aperture library. What I want is one consolidated library.

It must be a setting somewhere because when I try the same but in reverse (ie exporting from the iMac and importing to the Macbook Air), it all works tickety-boo.

Any ideas?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 28, 2013 - 2:54am

Make sure you are running the latest Aperture, and that both Libraries are updated to the current version. It might be asking you about switching if the two libraries are different versions.

by Richard Mathews
January 28, 2013 - 7:13am

Thanks. Yes, both the latest versions. Helpful suggestion though. Thanks. Keep them coming.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
January 25, 2013 - 8:19am

How are you importing on the iMac?

The procedure is to open the main library first, then choose File->Import->Library and choose the library copied from the MBAir.

You can also double-click the library after you copy it to the iMac. If Aperture is already running with a different library open, it will ask if you want to Switch or Import the library you double-clicked. If Aperture wasn’t running when you double-clicked the library file, it will just open and make that library the default library. This last scenario seems like what you are describing.

Thomas

by Richard Mathews
January 26, 2013 - 7:39am

That’s what’s odd.

When I do the latter (ie click when ,aperture library is open) it asks me if I want to switch but does not give an import option.

When I “file import”, it goes through the motions but doesn’t consolidate / merge the libraries.

As I say, I don’t there’s much user error going on because (i.) I’ve done this several times before (ii.) it works when I import in to the MBAir

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness