You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Importing a .DNG File #1
Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
January 4, 2014 - 12:05am

Happy New Years Everyone!!

I’m having a little issue trying to import a .DNG file into Aperture. It imports and then I get a unsupported file error. I’m in the process of trashing the preference file but have a question. In preferences I have a com.apple.RegAperture.plist. Is this the folder I need to delete? Everything I’ve found says the com.apple.aperture.plist is the file to delete. I’m not sure about the Reg???

Bob

Bob

Russell's picture
by Russell
January 4, 2014 - 10:25am

Woah! Don’t trash your prefs just yet.

There are a lot of DNG files that Mac OSX cannot read and it depends on the raw file produced by different cameras. For instance, my Nikon NEFs, when I used to convert to DNG as part of my workflow are read OK. On the other hand, my Lumix RW2 files when converted to DNG are unreadable by Mac OSX. You can’t see thumbnails in the Finder, nor in Aperture (or any other software that calls on the Mac OSX Digital Camera Raw Compatibility module).

It’s to do with what the camera OS does to its raw file before it saves it to the card and then the DNG conversion being non-linear (or linear, can’t remember). In Panasonic’s case, the Lumix raws have lens correction data stored in them and this doesn’t play nice in the Mac environment after conversion to DNG. They’re fine in the Adobe environment, of course.

So, first of all check whether DNG files produced from your particular camera’s raw files are compatible with Mac OSX.

EDIT: You’re going to tell me that you’ve had no previous problems and that this is a new  issue now, aren’t you? 

Russell

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 4, 2014 - 2:21pm

Russell .. just curious if you have run a DNG out of camera through Adobe’s DNG convertor into a new DNG and tried that in Aperture? Yes, the Adobe DNG Convertor can go from DNG to DNG. Just curious to know whether that would produce an Aperture-consumable DNG.

Russell's picture
by Russell
January 4, 2014 - 3:00pm

Hi Walter

I’ve never used out of camera DNGs, only converted NEFs & RW2s to DNGs. I no longer convert to DNG but I remember trying different DNG conversion engines and various permutations of linear/non-linear demosaicing, fast-load data etc without success. I seem to recall that for some initially non-readable DNGs, fiddling with the demosaicing settings can work (Fuji? Oly?).

What I didn’t do, and now regret, is parcel up the original RW2 files in the DNG wrapper so I could retrieve them now I don’t use DNG anymore. I’ve resorted to converting non-readable DNGs to 16 bit TIFFs instead.

Russell

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
January 4, 2014 - 5:06pm

This question came up elsewhere.  Aperture supports RAW DNG, but doesn’t support Linear DNG.  For a number of camera models, their “native” DNG format is Linear DNG.

Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
January 4, 2014 - 7:15pm

Thanks for all info everyone. I should explain this better. I’m using Magic Lantern’s feature, Dual Iso. My file right out of the camera is a .CR2 which is then converted to a .DNG using a M.L. conversion to pull the 2 different Iso’s together for a final photo. The result is a .DNG that Aperture does not support.

I’m curious too about the preference file. Is RegAperture the one that would be deleted if need be?

Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
January 6, 2014 - 4:51pm

In case anyone is interested, I discovered that “Perfect Layers” will open this particular DNG file, which can then be saved to something Aperture will recognize.

jac's picture
by jac
January 7, 2014 - 1:12am

Files from my Pentax K5’s converted directly in Aperture. No luck when I acquired a K3. The work-around for me was to download Adobe’s raw converter, convert .DNG’s to .dng’s and import into Aperture from these files. A nuisance but manageable until Apple provides an update RAW conversion for the K3.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 8, 2014 - 10:20pm

It might be a good test to run your M.L generated DNG through Adobe’s DNG Converter into another DNG, then see if Aperture can read that. I’m confused by the Dual ISO you mention. Is this CR2 some type of multi-exposure / HDR raw file with two raw images in it that M.L. merges into a single raw image? What exactly is M.L. doing? What is in the CR2? Can Aperture read the CR2 file directly? I’m not questioning / judging what you are doing. I’m trying to get a better understanding of the problem so I might be able to offer more help.

Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
January 9, 2014 - 12:58am

Walter,

I haven’t tried going through Adobe’s DNG Converter. I’ll have to try that. A dual iso capture is a single CR2 file that comes out of the camera and yes, Aperture will recognize it. What it is, is a single exposure, but every other horizontal line on the sensor is recorded at one of two predetermined iso’s for more dynamic range. You then run the CR2 file through a program of magic lantern’s and it’s output is a DNG. I then found by opening it in perfect layers I can then save it as a jpeg or tiff and then take it back into Aperture.  Magic Lantern is a third party firmware that runs in the camera. There are quite a few features in M. L., dual iso being one of them. They have a website if you’d like to check them out.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 9, 2014 - 1:46am

Very interesting. I have never heard of the alternating lines having different exposures for greater dynamic range. Slick!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness