You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Import tagged (locked) files #1
David R's picture
by David R
March 13, 2011 - 5:23pm

Currently I have to do two imports, the first import is to bring in locked files, I then mark them 1 star then do a second import of the non-locked files.

I cannot find a way to get Aperture to import the locked files and either colour code them or star rate them and also bring in the non-locked files.

PhotoMechanic has a fantastic option that will import the locked files first (so you can pull in the last image first out of 300 if that is the one you tagged) and also displays if it was locked in the browser.

Can Aperture show me if a file had been locked after it's been imported?

Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
March 25, 2011 - 11:09pm

Unfortunately I can’t script it. In a managed library, the Master file doesn’t retain the “locked” status so apparently there’s no way to tell the difference after import.

Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
March 13, 2011 - 5:51pm

Hi David.
Maybe Joseph can find a way, but I can’t. The protected/tagged/locked status of an image doesn’t seem to be stored in the EXIF info and I don’t know how Aperture is able to tell the difference.

However, Aperture does allow you to assign rating/color label/flags on import (can be added to your Metadata preset). So you still have to import twice, but at least you won’t have to apply color labels manually.

If someone can figure out where the “locked” status of an image is stored, I’d be happy to write an import AppleScript to automate the process.

Morten
@aFringeDweller

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 14, 2011 - 1:22am

David and Morten,

You’re correct that you’ll have to do two imports, as there’s now way to have import settings applied differently in a single batch. Meaning if you identify the camera-locked photos using the “Only include files flagged/locked in camera” feature, you can’t select those and apply a rating or flag to them, but not to the rest, and impor everything at once.

The good news is that you don’t have to wait for the first import to complete before starting a second one, so you can choose the option “only include flagged…” and import those with a flag applied, then as soon as the import window closes, open it again and start importing the rest. To separate the already imported images, since “do not import duplicates” doesn’t work if you’re renaming files on import, I’d again select the “only include flagged…”, un-check those for import, then turn off the option and import everything else.

To mark as flagged or star-rated or color tagged on import, open the Metadata presets and create one that has the options you want included. You can then apply whatever of those options you want on import.

Morten, the files are locked in the camera the same as in the Finder, using the “lock” under file info. However for some reason Aperture doesn’t recognize a locked file as locked unless it’s on a CF card. When it’s just in the Finder, it doesn’t care. That’s why I couldn’t show it in the Live Training yesterday; for some reason it wouldn’t recognize the lock in finder files.

If you can find a way to script it, that’d be fantastic.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness