You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Import Library as referenced files #1
Phil Bailey's picture
by Phil Bailey
December 19, 2012 - 5:28am

Hello
I have a number of Aperture libraries and I want to move to a referenced library. My plan in to move my master library to a referenced model and then begin to import all of my other libraries into it, carefully making sure I have no duplicate project names, albums etc. I have a couple of questions:
1) Can I import I whole library and select referenced images so it will move the files into my new structure? I am guessing I would be best suited to choose 'Add' and not 'Merge' to be safe?
2) Is there any command or tool that can tell me the difference between two very similar Aperture libraries. Due to restores and moving machines, i actually have several copies of a very similar (very large!) Aperture library.
I am on the Aperture version 3.4.3.
Many thanks
Phil

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 22, 2012 - 8:54am

Phil,

You will need to make the library referenced before merging to do what you want to do. Actually it doesn’t matter; you could merge and then go referenced, but if you make it referenced first I think the whole thing will go more quickly. Only one massive file move vs. two.

I’m not totally sure I understand question #1 though; if you are importing a library you have to import all of it, and images that are referenced will stay referenced; managed will stay managed. Your library can be a mix of the two, no problem. And yes I’d add not merge, but I’d also eliminate duplicates BEFORE the merge just to make life a little less complicated.

For #2, not between two libraries, but within a single library, check out ADD by SSoftLtd.. I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet but I’ve spoken to the developer and it’s very very clever.

good luck,

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Phil Bailey's picture
by Phil Bailey
December 23, 2012 - 10:29am

Thanks for the reply. Is there a quick way to make the whole library referenced in one ‘click’ so to speak or is it a matter of re-locating maters for each project?

For #1 I guess I was asking “Can I import library but make images referenced on import?” E.g. in my new library I want my referenced images to live on my external hard drive. Can I import a library and choose to have all the files referenced on my external hard drive under the format Image Year/Month/Day that I want to choose? It sounds like no from your response as you said the images will stay managed.

Many thanks again. Happy Holidays

Phil

Phil Bailey's picture
by Phil Bailey
December 31, 2012 - 12:48pm

Is there a way to move every image to be referenced in one go? Is this wise!? How do I ensure I got all images in the move?
Phil

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness