You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Import from Ipad to Aperture #1
Howard Miller's picture
by Howard Miller
October 10, 2011 - 8:35am

I like to edit some of my photos in Snapseed on my Ipad (especially when I'm at some kids swim practice).

When I try to import those photos from my Ipad, into Aperture I want to choose which folder I use as the Destination Folder. The problem is, the destination folder is grey'd out and I can't edit it.

Interestingly, at the bottom right of the import screen it says it's putting the files into a new project named Sep 22, 2011, in my folder called 2011. But it actually put them into a project named June 13, 2010.

Anybody run into this before? It seems that Aperture doesn't recognize the Ipad as a photo storage device.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 10, 2011 - 10:28am

Howard,

What you’re seeing is normal. I don’t know why there’s a limitation on where you can put the photos on import, but iPad always imports to its own new self-named Project. Fortunately you can just move them afterwards; that’s what I always do.

Snapseed is awesome, isn’t it?!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Howard Miller's picture
by Howard Miller
October 10, 2011 - 11:46am

Thanks Joseph, that’s what I’ve been doing. The only drawback to moving the files in aperture, is that my backup needs to be changed also.

Your right, Snapseed is the best $4.00 I’ve spent on my photography. I only wish they’d make a cheap plug in for Aperture, so I could get some decent file sizes. The files that import from my Ipad using Snapseed into my MAC are always in the 1-2 MB size I’m using the Ipad 2, but I can’t get the full size JPGs.

Do you have any experience with this?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 11, 2011 - 3:35am

Howard,

I’m not sure why this is affecting your backup; if you move the files immediately after importing, then that would happen before your backup. What is it that you’re doing to back up?

It would be cool to see Snapseed on the Mac, but I think that’s called Color Efex Pro and it costs a few hundred bucks ;-)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Howard Miller's picture
by Howard Miller
October 12, 2011 - 1:21am

I guess it’s not really a backup. It’s just that I import from my card directly into Aperture and to a external Hard drive at the same time. It’s the external Hard Drive files that will be in the wrong locations. It’s certainly not an issue … until it IS an issue.

I’ve got my eye on Color Efex Pro. If it’s anything like Snapseed, then I’ll definitely have to get it.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 12, 2011 - 2:40am

Howard,

I see, so it’s the simultaneous backup import. How are you sorting those photos; is it by Project Name? (must be or this wouldn’t be an issue). I’d recommend choosing a different strategy for the backups, because project names can change at any time as you move things around, and then you have this “syncing” issue (which isn’t really important, as you say, until you need it). I’d recommend sorting them by yyyy > mm >> dd folders, because then no matter WHERE the file is in Aperture, you only have to look at the date to know where it is in the backup.

My 2¢

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
October 12, 2011 - 4:01pm

Howard

Re ‘why are the files so small’, it’s because Aperture makes small versions to copy to the iPad otherwise toy’d quickly run out of space.

Snapseed is awesome. While you can’t replicate everything it does in Aperture it does allow you to play with an image, see what might look cool and then maybe apply it in Aperture. It encourages me to do things I wouldn’t do - probably even if I had Colour Efex pro because the interface is so simple.

David

d.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness