You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Import Date and Time Data #1
Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
March 27, 2011 - 12:36am

The “date created” box on the import metadata is always set to the date that I created the original set of data that shows up every time I do an import. I'm assuming that I could go back and leave that blank and type in the date every time I do an import or just change the date at import. My main trouble is the time create box. The time on my 5DII is set for military or 24h time. No big deal in converting that the the 12h time that seems fixed in A3 (maybe something to suggest in a future upgrade?). However, the last digit of the seconds and the AM/PM do not show up. They run out of space. So I have to move my cursor to where I think the space should be and use the up/down arrow to get AM or PM. I am assuming up is PM and down is AM. Is there any way to expand that box or change the format?

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 28, 2011 - 12:02am

Florian,

You can’t expand the import box, unfortunately. I’ve been asking for that for years. I think it got wider, but there must be a good reason we can’t make it wider ourselves.

I’m curious about your use of the Date Created IPTC set though. This is what you’re talking about, right? [screenshot]

What is your intention with this? The date and time of image capture is recorded by the camera at the moment you press the shutter, and is going to be perfectly accurate (assuming the camera is set correctly). This metadata set is going to apply to ALL images, so unless you want to record the timestamp of when it was captured, I’m not sure I see the use of this field. How are you using it?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Florian Cortese
March 28, 2011 - 1:11am

Joseph,
No My Date Created appears in the Metadata Presets brick. I was assuming this referred to when I uploaded the pictures. I know realize my thought process may be flawed!

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 28, 2011 - 4:33am

Florian,

My screenshot above is from the metadata preset editor. So it would show up in the Presets brick, as you noted [screenshot].

If you want to get rid of that, you can disable it in the Metadata editor [screenshot]. You must have added it in at some point, because as far as I know, that’s not enabled by default anywhere.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by Florian Cortese
March 28, 2011 - 6:07am

Joseph,
Does it do anything? I mean what is it for. When you import a load of pictures, your camera is going to imprint the time when it was taken. As you pointed out in one of your training sessions, if you forget to change to the time zone you can correct that. It is my understanding that that takes place in the Time Zone brick. So what is the purpose of the Date created info in the Metadata Preset brick? Just curious.

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 28, 2011 - 11:34am

Florian,

I’d guess it’s there so you can add a date and time to an image that doesn’t have one, like a scan. Other than that, not really sure.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?